Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Ooh, some yummy, peppery nasturtiums, too, it looks like.

Our mint is still small at this point, but it’s colonizing the area all around the flower bed it started in. I don’t mind. When I’m walking on it to weed that bed it smells SO good.

8 Likes

Yes I love and eat nasturtium.
I ( if I can find the photo) have cooked pork wrapped in the leaves on the gas grill.

6 Likes

Mint is nearly indestructible. If we humans fail to turn around climate change and destroy ourselves, at least we know the mint and tardigrades will survive us.

13 Likes

speaking of mint…
has any one ever had their mint “change” on them?
two years ago, i planted peppermint and it was fragrant and tasty. great in iced sun tea.
now, the plants are thriving, get water as much as they want, but the flavor is… off. developed a bitterness that ruins tea, or pretty much anything else.
what am i missing? something in the soil? never had this happen before anywhere else.

7 Likes

It could be soil chemistry. When you planted it, it probably came in a bunch of soil. If you amended the soil then it might not have the right nutrients or pH. If you haven’t amended the soil, it may have leached out the necessary nutrients for good-tasting mint.

7 Likes

right. “soil” is wierd here, very little of it. i’ll save this convo for the garden thread, but seems we are in agreement as to something to do with soil.
thank you.

6 Likes

Saw some beautiful calamari steaks at the market so I sliced them and made Greek-style poached calamari:

Very tender and garlicky!

8 Likes

It will spread.

Keep it well away from anywhere it can send shoots to unless you want it everywhere.

When the stems get woody and the leaves get old/large they tend to get less tasty. Most herbs will do that once they go to seed, and as they get older.

I’m guessing down South it never really goes dormant? Prune it back a hell of a lot, pinch off any flower buds and try not to let it go to seed at all. Pick leaves off younger shoots and green stems. It’s probably just age on the plant.

8 Likes

13 Likes

nice setting for ice cream and cappuccino. love the cone holder.
curious, though, what is “Bubble Waffel”?

8 Likes

So civilized and refined.

7 Likes

So you’re saying we all get more bitter as we age? It’s not just me?
:wink:

@FloridaManJefe - ditto everything Ryu wrote. Ours is really nice right now, but even by late July up here it isn’t any good if I just leave it. And ours comes back from dormancy each year, unlike yours, I imagine.

Right now I’m brewing up a big old batch of mint tea to ice and make some pseudo-mint juleps this weekend.

9 Likes

51y3RnUexzS.AC_SY780

12 Likes

That looks perfect.

i want to go there 30 rock GIF

10 Likes

And it’s just around the corner from the office!

9 Likes

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

8 Likes

ok, wow! there is an Asian supermarket in Mesa, AZ - Mekong Market - and this Vietnamese woman had two of those irons going and making pandan or red bean or savory scallion cakes with some batter. really good! had ni idea what the special iron was called.
i suppose one could enjoy bubble waffel with one’s bubble tea at this market (they had a boba place there, too)

9 Likes

Julia Child’s Coq au Vin Recipe Stands the Test of Time.
There’s a reason generations of cooks have turned to the recipe since it was published in the 1961 “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”

8 Likes

I used to make that!

7 Likes

My favorite chicken deboning knife.
The cut off stuff looks better.

5 Likes