Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Ooooh, scaled up oyakodon. Very nice.

5 Likes

I’ll try your mod, quite soon.

7 Likes

Made arepas filled with cheese and chives, then sautĂ©ed some shrimp with garlic and lemon. Mom would eat potatoes every day, but I like to try mixing up the starches and wasn’t up to grits/polenta.
My fix for the whistling instant pot was to buy a new one off Craigslist, this one has the air-fryer lid! It works as advertised, but I’m not going to be using it everyday. It did do a nice job on some chicken thighs.

8 Likes

Getting pretty good at making tortillas at home.

15 Likes
7 Likes

Oh man, even as cartoon food it all looks great. A good way of sharing it too. Thanks!

8 Likes

The ads at the end were an interesting mix.

4 Likes

Eggs Benedict for Ms. Pane on Mother’s Day. I will brag to making a most excellent Hollandaise sauce in the classic fashion. Fresh eggs from the coop this morning take it to the next level.

20 Likes

happy mums’ day!
took the mum to Marker 88 for brunch-on-the-beach in Islamorada. pineapple marinated tuna steaks, lightly kissed on a hot iron and served on a brioche bun with cilantro aioli and crispy onions. mimosas on free-flow and a stiff but pleasant WSW wind ~15kn. beautiful.
so happy to have this time together with mum. very important time.

17 Likes

Country loaf no-knead bread.

Takes 24 hours to make so if you want some today, you need to start yesterday!

15 Likes

@DukeTrout I smoked a salmon fillet last night. I thought I had over brined it, but it didn’t turn out too salty. One problem with the smoking pellet tube this time was that it was constantly in flames, rather than smoldering, meaning that there wasn’t a whole lot of “flavor smoke” – but it still worked out pretty well.

10 Likes

How salty the salmon is should be a factor of how concentrated the brine/rub is. After a certain point it’s more about what the salt does to the texture and how fast it goes.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t blow out? Huh. I wonder if it’s getting too much air, maybe? Or maybe the burner underneath it kept the canola oil in the pellets hot enough that it was out gassing?

5 Likes

I just finally read the cool article about people decoding ancient recipes from cuneiform tablets and it reminded me of this story from a while ago:

I remember hearing it on the radio and it blew my mind. They might have covered it on Radio Lab. What also blew my mind was that this was 10 years ago!!! Holy moly.

12 Likes

Fire Good!

7 Likes

Holy moly it was Kentucky Derby weekend!
I remember I forgot.

7 Likes

I know how you feel! I forgot, too. Even though our mint is set on taking over the world. Maybe tonight.
The only pain in this recipe is crushing the ice. I may modify

6 Likes

Inspired by a post elsewhere, I made some mini-pineapple upside down cakes at lunchtime:

16 Likes

Oh my Yes!
Wonderful idea and your interpretation looks spot on.
Cheers

6 Likes

We have mint in a container. Though it suffered not being watered and drying out ( my fault ) it is making a rebound.

11 Likes