Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

American measures: find another recipe.

It’s simpler. Life’s too short.

3 Likes

Nothing is more disappointing than finding a tasty recipe on the internet and then scrolling down and realising it’s given in a strange combination of measuring cups and spoons.

On a related note: whenever I find myself close to giving in and buying a set of measuring cups the only ones I can find are in metric: they’re 100ml cups, etc.

What’s the fucking point of that? I don’t need measuring cups to work in the normal system. The only reason I would buy them would be so I could use the other system, so please give them to me in their units, so they’re useful for something at least!

3 Likes

That’s it. That’s the problem with them. So frustrating.

3 Likes

That shows up in my mail for some reason and that is exactly the voice I read USian recipes in!

2 Likes

These are expensive, and I don’t know if you can get them there, but I have never regretted getting my measuring cups: they are silicone so I can mix things and pour them out (scrambled eggs, pancake batter, etc.), and they do exactly what you want.

One side:

Other side:

10 Likes

Cooking itself is really just chemistry.
Simple sugars combine with proteins in the Maillard reaction, responsible for browning food when cooked. Add a little more heat and caramelization takes over, while too much heat for too long leads to burnt flavors.
I find Metric much easier in Chemistry, why not cooking?

7 Likes

Sunday night. We’re in a week-long lockdown again and it’s cold, so might as well have the oven on.

Egg tarts with capsicum paste for lunch

Roast lamb with cannelloni beans for dinner, with a bottle of Cab Sauv.

Pink! Perfect.

13 Likes

The recipe for those egg tarts would be most appreciated. Looks like a savory custard poured into puff pastry squares?

11 Likes
5 Likes

Even easier. Puff pastry squares in muffin tins, some Parmesan on the bottom with a small amount of mustard, a whole egg dropped on top, some grated cheddar, a teaspoon (or less) of a jarred capsicum paste, parsley, salt and pepper and bake for 15 mins @ 200c.

The capsicum paste was stuff I had left over in the fridge, but anything with a strong flavour that goes with egg and cheese would work.

13 Likes

Sounds ridiculously easy, and looks yummy…thanks!

ETA: scramble the egg, or just put it in so that it bakes with the yolk in the center?

7 Likes

Whole eggs, yolks unbroken. It’s a variation of something I grew up with - the egg and bacon pie. I was hoping to find a similar recipe but I’ve just been distracted by this version with leeks. Ooooooh……

Which has also reminded me (it’s almost 8.00am here as I write this) I have a couple of left-over ones in the fridge that I saved for breakfast.

10 Likes

Wow! Those looks fantastic.

5 Likes

We do something similar with sliced ham instead of puff pastry, if you’re on a keto kick :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m not a keto person and I’d usually choose pastry over ham most days, but The Teen is a T1 diabetic and he’s always looking for ways of ingeniously mixing animal protein with, er, other animal proteins. I’ll probably wake to find him making your version on a future Sunday. :grin:

5 Likes

Yeah, I do like puff pastry, the leeks make me think of one of our favorite things to do with it, bake a sheet on a tray til it gets a slight bit of color, thinly slice leeks and sautee them in olive oil til they’re nicely caramelized, then spread them on the baked sheet, and add cheese of your choice (and anything else that strikes your fancy) and pop it back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese, you can make one big piece or multiple small ones if you want to vary the toppings… makes a very nice appetizer with a glass of white.

9 Likes

(Smoked Gouda comes to mind)

5 Likes

Oooh yeah, or a smoked scamorza…

4 Likes
7 Likes

We do “egg cups” for breakfast on the road - same idea, but with slices of bread instead of puff pastry, and scrambled eggs/milk or cream/shredded cheese & seasonings. The family loves them, hot or cold.
Next time I’ll try them with a whole egg instead of scrambled.

5 Likes