Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Not glassware but I have my mate’s grandmother’s le Creuset casserole. My grandchildren can have it. My children will get the newer ones that I bought (on sale during a Sterling fluctuation for a quarter of what they cost now) as I prefer the oldest one.

7 Likes

I love my Corningware and Pyrex, and the ancient bakeware from the 40s and 50s that I inherited from my mother.
I still use her Guardian roaster for pot roast, even though a few people have told me I’ll die from the aluminum.
I made a pie in my oldest (and most favorite) Pyrex deep-dish pan, and took it to a party. The hostess returned a new, shallow Pyrex dish. She claimed that was the only one she found after the party. After that, I went to the thrift store and found some stuff the same size as my most-used (and beloved) bakeware, and transfer any bakery to those before taking it anywhere. I can’t even trust friends around my ancient bakeware!

11 Likes

I would probably have ended the friendship over that, but that’s just me.

6 Likes

Ancient feuds, lasting centuries, have been started over less.

11 Likes

The problem is, you can’t actually know if it was a different guest who either accidentally or on purpose grabbed the wrong pan. It may be true that the friend who hosted the potluck had no idea what happened to it.

If @marence’s pie was the only one that night…that’s a horse of a different color!

8 Likes

Ha, I was busy typing similar thoughts, while you posted that. But you were more succinct!

Similar here, I have some plates from the dollar store (ceramic, so they’re presentable, but nothing I care about, and definitely not part of my own tableware) plus some serving utensils from the thrift store, just for taking to potlucks.

I’m reminded of my own missing item. A friend held an open house for their mother’s 90th birthday, with tea/coffee and cakes, and I was asked to please bring all the teaspoons I could come up with. I took all the spoons from my set (stainless). During the party I saw a couple carrying around a small baby, and the baby was holding one of my spoons in their hand. Later I saw the couple sitting on the sofa with the baby. Cleaning up after the party, I was short one spoon. I looked everywhere—under all the sofa cushions, looked in drawers, took all the magazines out of the magazine rack, etc.—to no avail. It never did turn up. I’ve always figured it probably went home in the baby’s things. That was seven years ago, and I still think of it now and then and wish I had all my spoons! :laughing:

6 Likes

There were two other pies, one store-bought and one in a glass pie pan. I am 95% sure my pan went home with that person (who even remarked how much she wished she had a pan like that), but the hostess brushed off the suggestion.
Since the husband had to do business with the hostess I didn’t push it, but I learned my lesson again. Somehow I never want to believe that friends will steal from you, but it happens every few years.

9 Likes

Grad school has been kicking my butt (not to mention the unbearable heat wave that’s been lingering over SE Idaho since May…) so I’ve been eating a pretty steady diet of salad and cold noodle dishes. That having been said, every once in a while I deviate from my self-imposed raw-ish diet.

A few of us got together and made dinner the other night in a kitchen with -gasp- air conditioning! There are more than a few dietary restrictions in our little group, so vegan is typically the direction we go in. Enter…the BOSH burger.

https://www.badmanners.com/recipes/bosh-burger

It. Was. Amazing. Only mod was to chop up a wee jalapeno into wee-er pieces and toss that into the veg mixture. I ate mine with herbed goat cheese and avocado on top.

Ps, it also makes a mean burrito filling if you’re wrap-oriented.

12 Likes

I like a little burn on marshmallows.

5 Likes

I’ve been eating a sliced cucumber with salt, pepper and lemon juice or Italian dressing on it as my vegetable every night since the heat started to get bad here. Usually grill something basic to go with that, but the cucumbers are pretty much the only thing I’m interested in when it’s this hot.

6 Likes

My consumption of cucumbers has definitely gone up these past few months. I’m more along the soy/sesame oil/sriracha side of things but S+P+lemon sounds great, too!

5 Likes

this is very good too

8 Likes

Yum! I’ll have to try this tonight - many thanks!

5 Likes

Those are quite similar to our summer salads, chopped cherry tomatoes (or vine ripened ones), cubed cucumber, salt, olive oil and fresh basil, vinegar can be added if you like.

8 Likes

Yakitori, try number 2 on Weber Gas Grill.

12 Likes

That looks really good and tender! How was it?

6 Likes

Better than first try. I cooked them Hotter and faster.

6 Likes

Hot and fast seems to work best.

This brick setup might work on propane too. With a long preheat it might radiate a bunch more heat up to the skewers.

5 Likes

Great! Such good advice. Thank you and Cheers!

3 Likes

I’ve been practicing.

Also playing with mixing the pok pok charcoal in with regular briqs for high heat grilling. Turns a kettle into a jet engine.

Speaking of which I have picked up a bunch of those little japanese arabiki pork sausages.

These ones:

I used to get them at this yakitori place in Manhattan. Basically a classy Japanese hot dog. And I am pretty far from any sort of Asian market that carries them. So I’ve been trying to figure out how to make them.

Very little information online in English.

Sorta topped out here. Which doesn’t seem great on the sausage making front, but seems close to the ingredients listed on the package.

Any one have any info? Or anyone speak Japanese and willing to spend a few minutes looking?

5 Likes