Harbor, a castellated abbey for the rich to flee the pandemic

What… why… how do you manage to create a “getaway” that’s substantially worse than just a regular hotel room in every regard and costing more, no less? A Motel 6 would be a safer experience.

Or… they won’t. Given how scammy this thing is, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the “tests” weren’t real (or at least weren’t officially approved or accurate). Though some tests in common usage have a high false negative rate, so…

If nothing else, this seems like a great scheme to get a bunch of rich assholes to pay a lot of money to get together in a place where they have a high likelihood of infecting each other. Even assuming they are all being tested (doubtful) and the tests are accurate (doubtful), there must be staff who would all have to be tested and live entirely on-site to avoid getting infected (very doubtful). The close, shared accommodations pretty much guarantee any infection will spread like wildfire.

No A-Cask-of-Amontillado-ing necessary!

5 Likes

Yeah. I mean, you could rent a studio apartment in San Jose for that kind of money.

7 Likes

They can accommodate 33 guests. Sounds like this resort has been into serious hoarding. Sales pitch: “We hoarded so you wouldn’t have to!”

3 Likes

You wouldn’t even have to share a bathroom for that amount…

3 Likes

Maybe not “necessary” but still very cathartic… and much ‘kinder’ than any other comeuppance awaiting them…

3 Likes

Yes, as I posted in another thread, this would require testing of everyone who enters the compound, every time they enter. Permanent guests & live-in staff would need to be tested daily, or even hourly, from the time they enter, throughout the possible incubation period of the virus…& we don’t know yet what that is. Tests have to be given in a sterile room, which is re-sterilized (by workers who have themselves tested negative) in between each test. Testees would have to stay in quarantine until results came in. And there could be no in-&-out privileges. It all sounds extremely unlikely to me; mainly because tests are not available, but also because somebody with extreme discipline & medical training would have to oversee everything, & inmates – sorry, guests – would have to sign away their rights. And what happens when somebody does test positive, in this mask-free environment?

5 Likes

I keep thinking about that choir that met, being careful to not touch or get too close, yet one asymptomatic carrier managed to infect 75% of the 60 people in attendance after a few hours. And how the virus tests being used in Italy have a 30% false negative rate, such that it’s more reliable for them to diagnose people based on now all-too-familiar symptoms.

I was wondering what kind of “guarantee” this place is offering, but then I read the actual listing, which is worse than I realized. They can’t get tests, so they’re asking guests to test themselves. (Good luck with that, if you’re asymptomatic.) They’re not even requiring it - they’re just giving “preference” to those who tested negative (but given false negatives…). But hey, they have a “medical worker” on site who does, um, “symptom testing.” (Checks your temperature, I’m guessing?) They claim no contact with the outside world (not because of stockpiles, but because of “no contact” deliveries), but if the guests are potentially infected…

7 Likes

Harbor will give you an opportunity to meet, mingle, and collaborate with some of the brightest, forward-thinking individuals - no facemask required.

That is exactly what one should NOT be doing during a freaking pandemic. :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

Huh huh! You said “testes”

1 Like

Not quite, but very, very close.

I’m bored, so I recreated their promotional picture in Google Earth

4 Likes

Great idea! What could possibly go wrong? /s

1 Like

Oh oh please oh please oh please be just as well set up as the Fyre Festival.

Alternatively, everyone send in COVID infected sparkling water, then raid all their stuff while they’re in this spot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.