Harriet Tubman on the $20?

Or as @dacree said when bbs convened on this issue almost a year ago, the T-Dub. The issue then was which woman would end up as the new face on the 10, not the 20.

Also wanted to congratulate @atl and @Mindysan33 for making this call for Tubman in that thread! Well, maybe atl didn’t exactly make the call, but they’re right, Tubman was a bad ass (and how about having the Treasury use the image of her face that appears at the top of that page!).

I’m pretty stoked about this choice. Now let’s get Kshama Sawant on the 15! Well let’s get the 15 first (first as a national minimum wage, like NOW, and then as a $15 bill commemorating her efforts towards that long-overdue raise). :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And why am I not surprised that Ben Carson thinks Tubman is worth ten times less.

9 Likes

Now, lets get to work putting Rosa Parks on the dime.

(thats a relevant denomination in relation to the bus boycott, btw)

5 Likes

I have read that father was eventually able to purchase her mothers freedom

for $20

So there’s that.

5 Likes

Apparently Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul will be on the back of the $10.

and Eleanor Roosevelt, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Marian Anderson on the back of the $5.

3 Likes

There’s an “on their backs” joke here. Or a Ted Cruz reference. Or both.

Apparently the $5 will have scenes that took place at the Lincoln Memorial, including a performance by Marian Anderson (a black opera singer) signing for a crowd of 75,000 including Elanor Roosevelt, and Martin Luther King giving his I Have a Dream speech.

1 Like

I like all this inclusion but is sounds like these bills are starting to get a little crowded.

Homer: There’s a $10,000 bill in it for you.
Barney: Oh yeah? Which president’s on it?
Homer: Uh, all of them. They’re having a party. Jimmy Carter’s passed out on the couch.

7 Likes

I like having FDR on the dime, I’d like to see Rosa Parks on the Quarter and have them keep doing state reverses. A Rosa Parks quarter with Alabama on the reverse would be a thing of beauty.

1 Like

Sawant seems like a keen person, but one of the long-held traditions for our money that I think actually makes sense to hang on to is “you have to be dead before you get to appear on the currency.” I propose we table that one for 50 years or so (60 if we’re lucky).

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard that. I was just fantasizing. I know it’s unrealistic, given that she’s still alive, and i also realize that (so far), few people outside of Seattle have heard of her (but, give her time!). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kind of you for the shout out. I had thought “Harriet Tubman was a badass” would have been deemed as full approval for the suggestion, but in all events, I’m for it. I hope they don’t soften up her image for the engraving. She was a stern woman and deserves a stern image.

3 Likes

As usual, I have no likes to give, but I’m loving all this new info!

1 Like

4 Likes

I like this one as it has a “Come with me if you want to live” vibe. (Although the gun is wrong - she almost certainly never had a Colt revolver)

7 Likes

Now that just screams “#america” to me.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, the British are being really adventurous with their new 20.

I mean, I’m a huge fan of the musical and all but Hamilton was our first Treasury Secretary. If anyone deserved to stay on currency it was probably him.

Non Presidents include Hamilton on the 10, Franklin on the 100, and Salmon P. Chase on the 10,000.

1 Like

Um… you guys, no one has to “stay” on currency. All this talk of who has to go to make room is unnecessary. Maybe it’s because I collect old and foreign currency that I have this perspective, but there are countries where money designs change every five years or so, less for coins.

We can have all sorts of people on our money. Hell, we can have a “group photo” of all the presidents at some point. Americans should embrace the idea of colorful, size variant, constantly changing currency designs. We can cycle through a whole bunch of women AND have Jackson on a few different things. This doesn’t have to be a zero-sum game for anyone.

6 Likes

I think it’s mostly conservatives who object. You know, those people who fundamentally object to (most kinds of) change. Of course, racism and sexism bubble up right along with that.[quote=“atl, post:34, topic:76964, full:true”]
I like this one as it has a “Come with me if you want to live” vibe. (Although the gun is wrong - she almost certainly never had a Colt revolver)
[/quote]

I love that one too. And I’ve gathered it was a shotgun. And that one of its purposes was to threaten anyone she was helping with death if they tried to turn back.

4 Likes