Harry Anderson, TV's 'Night Court' star, has died at 65 in Asheville, N.C

It has been ages, but I seem to recall that Harry the Hat was portrayed as borderline supernatural at times.

5 Likes

My wife saw Anderson perform this trick at a live performance at the University of GA in the mid 1980s. She was sitting in an aisle seat, and as he made his way up the aisle, he made fun of her because she was staring so intently at his arm to try to discern how he was doing the trick (she couldn’t figure it out, BTW).

3 Likes

Here’s a video of him doing the trick. Has 3m of banter beforehand, if you feel you need to skip.

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

If you haven’t read his book it is a lot of fun. He was a one of a kind great guy.

If there is an afterlife may he be hanging out with Houdini and Titanic Thompson.

9 Likes

Harry’s greatest magic trick to me was appearing when I needed him most.

I was a lonely kid magician with an imaginary friend…Harry Anderson. Some nights when my parents weren’t getting along, I’d stay in my room and watch Night Court, not really understanding most of the jokes, but being enamored with Harry’s panache, wardrobe and magical aptitude…all helping me to forget what was going on down the hall.

I was lucky enough to meet him about 10 years ago when he did a small club tour. My wife got to go up onstage and put him in a straight jacket, and he set her up to be the star for a few minutes. It was really a dream come true to be a part of that.

I still remember the day my imaginary friend said goodbye years and years ago. I hadn’t seen him in a long time, and he appeared to me in my parent’s garden while I was staring off into the clouds. He told me that it was time for him to leave…that I was growing up, didn’t need him anymore and that everything would be ok. Smiling from ear to ear with an aura of warmth, he simply faded away between the flowers.

His upbeat attitude and outlook on life has had a resounding affect on my own life, and I hope I’ve honored his memory with my actions.

Such a Wise Guy…and a great human being.

22 Likes

My god… I think you may have just restored a little bit of my faith in the internet.

OK., not totally, but I’ll take anything these days!

Thanks for sharing this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Beep, beep, Ritchie.

1 Like

Harry was a street magician/con man here in Austin for a while. Harry the Hat was pretty much true to life.

2 Likes

… Time served.

1 Like

I believe he did that one on his SNL performance? maybe not, but that was a great episode.

There was that 30 Rock episode with the Night Court homage. IIRC it was Harry, Ms. Sullivan, Mac and maybe Bull or Roz, too. I Loved both of those shows, so it was cool to see.

agreed, some of the best Cheers episodes

4 Likes

Bless you. I needed that! RIP Judge Stone. :frowning:

1 Like

I recall he was always getting thrown out of Cheers by Sam.

1 Like

I read that Anderson was extremely well heeled and deliberately left Hollywood behind . . . but was getting $20,000 for a 55 minute magic gig at corporate events.

Doing what he loved.

Really sad and angry that he died so young.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.