Hastert paid man $1.7 million to hide sexual abuse, federal official says

[Read the post]

1 Like

How’d we do?

5 Likes

Not bad! “Molested child during his time as coach” was second only to “bad parenting.”

I had a hunch it was going to be something horrible like this just because it wouldn’t be worth paying $3.5 million to cover up a run-of-the-mill scandal, especially now that he’s out of office. Even “conservative politician revealed as secret homosexual” barely makes headlines these days so long as the other guy is over the age of consent.

8 Likes

When the news breaks that there is a sex scandal about a Democrat, their fellow Democrats always say, “I hope the girl was of age.”

When the news breaks that there is a sex scandal about a Republic, their fellow Republicans always say, “I hope it was with a girl.”

16 Likes

In retrospect, it also seems like the reluctance of the FBI to say what the misconduct was is also a tip off.

Actually now I feel bad about posting that poll in the first place. Sex abuse is no joke.

May Hastert face justice for his crimes and may his victim(s) find the peace they deserve.

13 Likes

The FBI is likely also being a bit cagey because the actual charges are unrelated to the ‘misconduct’. It sure isn’t going to help Hastert’s character witness phase that the story involves sexual abuse; but the crime he is facing charges over is the attempted evasion of transaction reporting and the lying to the FBI about it.

In terms of beating the rap, he’d probably be better off with the sexual assault. Team Fed takes their transaction reporting seriously, and it leaves a bit of a paper trail unless you are a particularly canny extralegal entity.

4 Likes

Apparently “No child left behind” has a different meaning for the GOP…

1 Like

I doubt he can still be charged with that at this point anyway (see also: Bill Cosby). The financial misconduct is probably the only thing that might put him in a jail cell.

2 Likes

Dead woman, live boy, someone else’s livestock . . . it will all come out eventually.

This is why it helps to be a millionaire when you considering a political careers. The nails you need to keep those skeletons in their closet cost plenty!

3 Likes

What is it about the party of family values?

10 Likes

Hastert has been accused of [taking at least half a million dollars from the Turkish consulate][1] in return for killing a House bill resolution that would have recognized the Armenian genocide back in 2000 (it was eventually recognized by the U.S. government a similar resolution was eventually passed by a House panel ten years later).

I guess now we know what he needed the money for. Asshole.

[Edited for accuracy]
[1]: Former House Speaker and Turkish Lobbyist Dennis Hastert Indicted on Federal Charges • MassisPost

6 Likes

The financial misconduct is probably the only thing that might put him in a jail cell.

that’s what kind of surprises me. he’s no longer in office, he’s rich enough to be set for life – so no real job pressure, the statue of limitations have (probably) passed so there’d be no investigation. so, why pay the bribes?

as awful as it is to contemplate, it seems he’d have been safe enough to dismiss it all as rumor.

Will Fox News call it “boy’ghazi”?

7 Likes

Fox News won’t call it anything…

15 Likes

Roger That!

Fox News will call it “Hastert (D)”.

13 Likes

[quote=“Shuck, post:15, topic:58649, full:true”]
Fox News won’t call it anything…[/quote]
“A shameless distraction from the administration’s cover up of FILL IN BLANK.”

7 Likes

[quote=“Brainspore, post:12, topic:58649”]
Hastert has been accused of taking at least half a million dollars from the Turkish consulate in return for killing a House bill that would have recognized the Armenian genocide back in 2000 (it was eventually recognized by the U.S. government ten years later).
[/quote]There have been resolutions, but the federal government has not officially recognized the Armenian genocide. It’s a little bit of a sore spot for descendents like me, I can tell you, particularly at the 100-year mark.

5 Likes

Well, crap. Sorry then.