Hating Millennials - the prejudice you're allowed to boast about

Ditto. Occupy was a shining moment and credit is deserved.

Yeah, I was. Still confused about this new system. Was giving an enthusiastic thumbs up to your sentiment against the f’ing boomers.

1 Like

As an early '70s Gen X-er, Reagan, Chernobyl, AIDS = yes indeed. The other stuff no. Too young. Only the very earliest born of Gen X-ers would have been old enough to remember that other stuff at all. Even if you go buy the very earliest year of '65 they’d still be really young children.

Hating millenials seems like the latest iteration of the clash between the realities of aging and the unavoidable fact that ‘Youth is wasted on the young.’

We elder folk look at our limited time between kids, work, mortgages and the rest. We finally have an idea of what we want to do with ourselves, and no time to do it. Then we look at the youngsters, who have time, energy and freedom. And we see them squander it (just like we did) on beer, fraught agonizing over the opposite sex and random acts of non-constructive fun.

We see the kids ‘squandering’ their youth and we get crusty about it. Just like our parents and elders did in our day, and just like the kids will in theirs.

Or maybe it’s all in my head and those damn kids really are just useless. Or maybe it was us.

1 Like

Yes, how dare we expect society to reflect the values we are taught.
How dare we hold our own values above that which we know to be untrue.
How dare we respect ourselves more than society falsely expects us to?

The old ways are no longer viable.
Some of us are disgusted with profit-chasing, and yes we are indeed entitled to feel however we want, about anything we want.

Your only recourse is to complain about it.
:slight_smile:

Actually, I’d say the boomers had a hell of a lot of stuff handed to them- like say, the ability to get a decent college education without going up to their eyeballs in debt. And that was provided by the taxpayer, but now that they’re the taxpayers, they suddenly have decided it’s every man for himself.

8 Likes

The whole concept of cultural generations is daft. There is no way someone born in 2000 is going to consider someone born in 1980 to be of the same generation; they could be their parents.

But obviously, Gen X is the best generation.

4 Likes

I imagine you’re right. I was raised to have pretty negative attitudes about Nixon and Vietnam, but that was the influence of conversations between my parents and (much) older siblings, for whom they were very recent memories. I don’t have any actual firsthand memories dating before Nixon’s resignation or the evacuation of Saigon. My earliest political memory is of advising my Mom to re-elect President Ford. (First and last time I ever dreamed of voting Republican.) Still, the aftermath of those defining events of the 70s did a hell of a lot to influence the lives of me and my cohort. Vietnam and Watergate cast very long shadows indeed.

As they say on the Internet, “This!”

A broad-spectrum misanthropy is the only solution. You’re not me? I hate you. Shape up.

Not to split hairs, but that is an opportunity that was available to them, not something anyone ‘handed’ them. It’s also an opportunity that is available to millenials, tbh, for varying degrees of “up to their eyeballs” and “decent education”.

But don’t forget generational transfers, especially from white children of returning GI vets, who handed down financial advantages and cultural and educational capital to their boomer kids, thanks to the largest affirmative action program in U.S. history, the GI Bill. “Privilege” of that sort actually is a handout.

1 Like

Once more, I’m not saying everything is roses for millennials. I just really think the blame all our problems on the boomers attitude is missing perspective. Of course everything’s not perfect. But for all the problems we inherit, we also inherited a lot of good situations and opportunities. Maybe just be glad that instead of being drafted to fight in WWII or Korea or Vietnam, you get to grouse on the internet about how hard life is.

i just don’t even know how to unpack this. If we’re talking about white privilege now, that’s a whole new unrelated conversation. If we’re talking about whether or not it’s a good idea to repay those who fought and died representing our country by helping their kids be educated, still an unrelated conversation and frankly pretty scummy to even question. If we’re talking about the idea of inheritance as a privilege, it’s true and arguably related, but it doesn’t really change the playing field re: millennials vs any other generation; that’s always been there, so i find it hard to see how it represents some unique hardship the younger generation today is facing.

1 Like

I was born in March of '67, so I was eight by '75. My uncle, a one-eyed man with numerous deep-tissue wounds and skin grafts, was a vivid example to me of what Vietnam was.

I remember the big topics for me as a child were civil rights, due to the fact that I lived right in the middle of the Midwest, where those things weren’t popular – the neutron bomb, when I was seriously beginning to watch the news – and the Cold War. Oh, and streaking.

I pretty sure massive education subsidies count as “handed to them”. There’s a big difference between when the UC system was founded, for example- it can’t charge “tuition”, it was supposed to be free to Californian students graduating in the top 10% of the state- to even ten years ago, when it was 4k a year , to today, when it’s 14k. That’s a huge difference. It was once accessible to bright kids in general; it’s not accessible only to the richest or the least debt-adverse. I was able to go to a UC; my cousins can’t even consider it.

Yet complaining about tuition hikes and the fact that government’s solution is “more loans”, and the boomers cry “you entitled kids, we paid our own damn tuition and we liked it, no one gave us any help.” And it’s that attitude I’m calling BS on. THey had lots of help. It just was through state funding.

4 Likes

We also inherited the worst economy since the Great Depression, which has disproportionately hit the young, who never even have a chance to get on the ladder. So basically, if a 90 year old grandmother wants to complain about how easy kids have it these days, yeah, i’ll give her that one, but anyone who grew up in the 50s, 60s, or even the relatively shitty 70s should probably rethink that one.

3 Likes

This sort of blame game crap is only possible for those who are somehow blind to the obvious fact that no man is an island.

It’s plain as day that any actual general trends (as opposed to varieties of timeless refrain) are the product of previous generations. Young people can hardly be held responsible for the systemic influences they’re subject to.

It’s passing the buck; blaming the victim.

'74 here, BTW

1 Like

So, basically the outlets printing these “Group X thinks this about Group Y, What do you think about that Group Y?” have been successful in generalizing and polarizing more non-extant combatant “sides.” mmmmm divisive ‘journalism’ for Homer’s soul… One doesn’t have to attack “Boomers” as some kind of disembodied other in order to call BS on an idea posited (by lazy columnists or what-have-you). Let’s just agree not to put up with these silly, historically inaccurate, unscientific, too-vague-to-be-useful labels. It’s giving the young and vulnerable sociology a bad name.

Your comment doesn’t track. Inequality, wages, debt, etc. f’in etc. are much worse now than then, and mostly because of selfish, misguided policies embraced by boomers.