Hating Millennials - the prejudice you're allowed to boast about

We have had wars now that have lasted much longer than any of those.

If we don’t get a job we will be on welfare which and will be told by people with opinions similar to yourself to “Get a job you lazy kid.” How? How are we supposed to get a job when we apparently don’t “deserve” one? Do you deserve your job?

2 Likes

that’s not the point. the point is that no one is forcing you to fight in them. you have the freedom to NOT be involved in these wars. You’re also seemingly conflating length with scope. Listen, war is terrible and i wish we didn’t have any to worry about. But i’d rather be living in a time when the military is all volunteer and the scope of the conflict is markedly less than the time where i can be drafted into WWII whether i like it or not.

inequality is worse NOW? you are seriously going to look at what things were like then, and say people are less equal before the law NOW? i hope you can see how insane that sounds.

listen, it’s a totally different time. some things are harder. education is more expensive (but probably better). millenials have been sold a rosier picture than reality, and i understand why they would be upset that, no, turnes out they can NOT take on 100K in student loans for a degree in (pick useless liberal arts/humanities degree) and be guaranteed that they’ll find a high paying job living in the great city of their choice with tons of free time and disposable income with which to pursue their hobbies. turns out, life is hard. always has been.

i wouldn’t say i ‘deserve’ my job, but i will say i went out and got it. no one handed it to me. it wasn’t easy.

you are supposed to accept the best job you are able to get. maybe it’s not everyone, but i’ve seen more than a few millennials decline to pursue perfectly decent jobs (i’m not talking about mcdonalds either) because it’s ‘not what they want to do’. anecdotal, yes. i’m not pretending to understand everyone’s situation. but from what i see in the business world, there is and will always be a demand for clever, hardworking, reliable people in every field.

They said a lot of the same things about Gen Xers twenty years ago when they had the nerve to come of age in a bad economy. And boomers got a lot of flak from the WW2 generation when they were young. Dumping on the next generation seems to be a time honored tradition.

1 Like

If we had a draft these wars would have been over with a long time ago.

1 Like

Wealth inequality. It’s been on a steady rise for decades. My fault for not including “wealth”. That was what I meant. As for the rest of your post it’s just making excuses. “like it or lump it” isn’t a very good defense.

1 Like

Yeah I agree it’s definitely in the consciousness. I was just saying that most of us were too young to really comprehend it in real time. For example, as a kid I remember finding a novelty wristwatch of my grandfather’s that had a cartoon caricature of Nixon exclaiming “I am not a crook!” and his eyeballs jogged back and forth with the ticking of the second hand. I sort of knew the context, but not really…
Now I wish I had that watch!

There are more than 3 active job seekers per 1 opening. This is worse for young graduates. It has little to do with credentials and more to do with a weak economy that hasn’t created a demand for jobs across the board. Quit trying to portray yourself as some kind of uniquely hard worker. Nobody’s buying it. People aren’t lazy, and you aren’t uniquely driven.

I skim this thread and come to the conclusion there is no saving the human race. Bunch of narcissistic whiners regardless of the age of the tongue holder.

To me that list is a total representation of the “real” Gen Y… the 90s teens.

Now you sound like Generation X.

Next thing ya know, you’ll be saying we should just make the best of an inherently broken system. Then a new Industry will come around and crazy ideas will start flying. Who cares- make the best! Everyone will talk about how this new internet- excuse me, new “future idea” will Change Everything! Soon people will start to make money off the craziness and the economy will boom and everyone will forget the whole thing was not a joke exactly… but kinda “ha ha serious”.

And the age group who comes of age in that… who seem totally incapable of questioning their good fortune, or anything for that matter? They will sound like Generation Y did.

To be fair, at least some of the boomers don’t have a choice about working… they can’t afford to retire, through no fault of their own. While some boomers did indeed crash the system, I’d argue that in this most recent crash, at least some Xer’s and Millenials probably helped.

I’d also say that there is a push for people to embrace the “creative economy” and in doing so, to celebrate the inherently insecure “freelancing” lifestyle. If the Millennial generation is more navel gazing, it’s because it’s in part what the new post-modern, freelance economy demands.

I agree, but it’s not just the youngest generation that’s getting squeezed here. Gen Xers and boomers have different issues, but they are facing struggles, too. At least some of them.

Except there was indeed a protest movement in the 80s, often based around the various punk scenes, it just did not have the means of self-promotion in a public formum that millennials have - and often the attention they got was negative. After all, much of the anti-globalization, ELF, ALF, and black block groups all came from that the Gen X originally.

1 Like

The more things change…

Except not everyone who fought for the US benefited from the GI Bill. The prosperity of middle class white male boomers was in part at the expense of Afro-Americans and women (including white women). That is not at all unrelated. In fact, part of the reason for the later dismantling of the welfare state is that it began to benefit other groups as you moved into the 70s. All of a sudden, taxes were being spent to support “welfare moms” and “people who are lazy”, not just “good hard working middle class Americans”. See how the John Birch society talked about Civil Rights and see how some of their language seeped into the modern strain of conservatism.

Lots of people, especially working class people, join the military for lack of other opportunities–it can also be a means for eventually get to college.