Haven't Seen It

They do this? You are yanking me chain!

2 Likes

Find and replace ā€œouā€ with ā€œoā€?

1 Like

There are a few rules and spellings which make it easy enough - I just donā€™t understand why anybody would bother. Then again, I also bang my head trying to understand why anyone would pay the extra money to remake a UK television series in the English language for US markets instead of simply showing the original. The series already exists, so wouldnā€™t the profits be greater? ACK!

3 Likes

Born on the Fourth of July? Rain Man? The Color of Money?

2 Likes

Never seen:
Avatar, Titanic, any movie starring Rajinikanth in its entirety (this must be fixed), the wire, the sopranos, or anything by Kurosawa.

1 Like

for one thing many british shows run on seasons of 6-8 episodes, for another thing british standards for language and nudity are not as restrictive as the ones on broadcast for the u.s. finally, large minorities of the u.s audience want characters that sound ā€œamerican.ā€

2 Likes

Paging Dr @penguinchrisā€¦

Kurosawa is someone Iā€™ve been trying to catch up on in recent years. Hadnā€™t seen any until a couple of years ago, but theyā€™re fantastic.

Who?
(I guess I should add Indian cinema to my list).

2 Likes

Grimlins
American Pie

1 Like

British series have short seasons, though. The whole UK run of The Office is, what, 12 episodes, whereas the US run was nine seasons of over 20 episodes each. How is a US TV Channel going to make much money from a show that canā€™t even fill one US season?

Edit to add: Never watched the US version of The Office. Disinclined to try and catch up with it now.

4 Likes

i read that when i was around 16 or 17 and thought it was an immensely evil book with ridiculous characters. several years later i read about someone in the reagan administration who thought that book was a guide to life and government. so i read it again and felt that it was enormously evil as a philosophy. iā€™ve since heard many republican and ā€œlibertarianā€ politicians exclaim how important that book was to their political point of view so i read it about once a decade to remind myself why so many republicans and ā€œlibertariansā€ are so fucked up.

10 Likes

I think this is my issue with US TV. I see that there are 100 episodes and I give up before I get started.

I borrowed Arrested Development from the library, but I couldnā€™t face binge watching so much in a really short period of time so Iā€™ve only seen a few episodes.

Oddly, I have seen the US House of Cards but not the UK one (I have read the book, though).

4 Likes

Those things were a bit tricky to adapt. On one level all of that is faithful to the books, but much of it is only barely shown even by book standards. And something that doesnā€™t come across as well (although, to its credit, the show does try on occasion) is the deconstruction angle that is a huge part of the books.

4 Likes

I did too! Part of it was a sort of readerā€™s pride, a determination just to read the whole thing. Then I carried on with The Fountainhead. Part of it also was just trying to figure out what was so ā€œgreatā€ about them.

Ugh. I guess pride wenth before the waste of time (or something).

10 Likes

That speaks to your character.

5 Likes

I have House of Cards, and the UK miniseries one, in my Netflix list, but I donā€™t know when Iā€™ll have time for it. Iā€™m a huge Kevin Spacey fan, but I just donā€™t have time to get caught up on 4 seasons.

Iā€™ve also never seen Big Bang Theory even though essentially everyone of my coworkers says I need to.

4 Likes

Oh gawd, I hope not!

6 Likes

Not trying to sell you on it, or suggest youā€™d like it. But the women are basically running the show by the end of season six.

ETA: Iā€™ve done that too. Iā€™m compulsive about finishing books I start, so once Iā€™m more than a few pages in, Iā€™ll drag myself through the torment. I did that same thing with Atlas Shrugged, but at least I learned never to start anther Rand novel.

6 Likes

If GoT doesnā€™t make you nauseous, then you have deep, deep seated issues.

9 Likes

Same here, if giving up after ten minutes of one episode counts. It was the laugh track that especially put me off. I hate being reminded when Iā€™m supposed to laugh.

10 Likes

I know Iā€™m something of an anomaly, but I never have much of an emotional reaction to fake violence. I think itā€™s a defense mechanism. I hated getting surprised as a kid when Iā€™d see horror films, so Iā€™d just keep my attention split between the screen and my own immediate environment, so when something scary happened it was just a bit of light and noise coming from the screen. I did that for so long that now I canā€™t disengage the part of my brain that sees scripted choreography and special effects, even if I donā€™t know how it works. But if I ride past a dead squirrel on the road or see news footage of a real disaster, I get nauseous. Odder still, I can lose myself fully in a book, but not a screen. I think itā€™s because Iā€™m in control of the reading experience, but just a passive audience for the screen. Plus, Iā€™m rarely not doing something else while Iā€™m watching a TV show or movie, making it easy to keep the action at arms length.

4 Likes