Haven't Seen It

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. -John Rogers

I haven’t read either of them, actually, although I plan on giving The Lord Of The Rings another shot in a few weeks.

Haven’t watched Game Of Thrones (read the books, gave up at the Red Wedding).

Haven’t seen many of the “classic” movies, although my friends and fiancee are working to correct that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s a typical Chuck Lorre sitcom: basically serialized boulevard theater.

4 Likes

I don’t believe anyone has yet seen any Star Wars installment after The Force Awakens. Or do you mean you have no intention of doing so?

4 Likes

Given my age (born in mid/late 70s) notable omissions include:

• The Breakfast Club
  • Most 1980s horror classics (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead 2, Child’s Play, The Thing, etc.)
  • Lord of the Flies (book or movie)
  • Stand by Me
  • Fatal Instinct
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Goodfellas
3 Likes

i think i had the advantage of already being pretty comfortable in the benefits of liberalism and good government based on leftist principles. this book only reinforced what i regarded as the moral superiority of using government in a empathetic and intelligent manner for the benefit of all society.

on a related note as a kind of performance art, in my early 30s, i recorded myself reading the john galt speech onto a reel to reel recorder (almost two hours) and then sped it up 4x and dubbed over that with occasional choruses of “there’s an objectivist rocking the boat” at random intervals chosen by rolling a die to see how many minutes to wait and then two dice to see how many repetitions at each instance. i think my mother has the finished cassette in one of my files in a filing cabinet.

3 Likes

Looking him up on WP, the only things I’ve seen of his are a few episodes of Grace Under Fire and Cybill. I’d forgotten completely about them, so I can’t say they were very memorable. I basically stopped watching sitcoms in the mid-90’s. I watched a fair number of episodes of Roseanne, which I recall having some funny dialogue, but it says he was just EP on those.

1 Like

Me too! 10 minutes in and my spouse and I looked at each other and said “done”, and that was that.

7 Likes

With the exception of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, I find John Hughes films are all worth watching once or less. The Breakfast Club was okay, but I only watched it because it was about to disappear from Netflix and it seemed like something I should see. I won’t bother with it again. I think it would have been more entertaining to someone who had a more conventional high school experience, as opposed to someone who shipped his own ass off to a military boarding school after freshman year made me thankful for my years of homeschooling. For me, The Breakfast Club just kind of felt like I was stuck in Saturday detention with them, and I was glad when it was over and kind of wanted my two hours back (even though I spent them preparing brunch).

Goodfellas was a pretty good movie. But after I dated someone years ago who lost family members in the little mob war it was based on, I refuse to re-watch it.

I liked Fatal Instinct mainly because I hated Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct, and enjoyed seeing them lampooned.

The only movie on your list that I’d highly recommend is Good Will Hunting.

2 Likes

Not worth it, IMHO. Ever diminishing returns. The book is good. Tells a story, finishes.

4 Likes

I’ll probably test the waters with the mini-series and then possibly the book. I suspect the Netflix series is one that will pass me by.

3 Likes

Umm…

Fatal Attraction, or Basic Instinct?

Or do you really mean

?

7 Likes

Seconded.

2 Likes

I would very much prefer a Peter Lorre sitcom.

10 Likes
3 Likes

I had a quick search and found The Comedy Of Terrors with Peter Lorre, Vincent Price and Boris Karloff. Now I’m 5 minutes in and wondering why I’ve never seen this before.

ETA: Beaten. It’s on YouTube, by the way.:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh yeah. All three actually.

6 Likes

Fatal Instinct is a parody of the other two. It’s the only one worth watching, IMHO.

4 Likes

Godfather trilogy. (Someday, though)
Star Trek anything. (No interest)
Games of Thrones. (Ditto)
John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight. (Unpopular opinion warning: I just don’t find him funny. Though I do appreciate his effort to spotlight important issues and get people talking about them.)

Never read anything by Terry Pratchett, William Gibson, or Neil Gaiman. Don’t really read much fiction in general, though. Also never read anything by Art Spiegelman or Alan Moore. Despite my visual primacy, my attention span for graphic narrative seems limited to comic strips, with the major exception of Peter Kuper (see below). I do intend on reading Joe Sacco’s Palestine, but that’s more because it’s non-fiction and Sacco is just incredible.

I own and have read Peter Kuper’s autobiographical works Stripped, Drawn to New York, Comics Trips, and Stop Forgetting to Remember. I recommend all of them.

3 Likes

A more conventional American high school experience. It was nothing like my experience of an English secondary school that felt like it hadn’t realised that it wasn’t a Grammar school anymore.

My school went on strike because the head teacher wanted to introduce Saturday detentions. Several hundred children on the school playing fields refusing to go to lessons.

Saturday detentions were rather rapidly dropped from the schools plans after that.

4 Likes

I was a bit too old for the Pokemon when that first started, but I guess most would still lump me into that generation.

And I will happily goad someone into watching watching Big Trouble In Little China if they haven’t seen it.

1 Like