Hayao Miyazaki emerges from retirement, again

I did watch that one, and I still can’t quite put my finger down on what appealed to me about it.
Maybe I liked Saitama’s disaffect, so similar to my own?

2 Likes

It’s a funny one… Even the opening song makes me laugh.

But Saitama is the hero we would probably be.

3 Likes

Miyazaki is likely back because Ghibli cannot survive on its own, they have basically shut shop, so he might want to take yet another stab at setting them up for the future - an animation studio cannot live forever off Totoro merchandise. Isao Takahata’s output is lovely but it’s too niche to get commercial success, and most non-Miyazaki projects just floundered. He botched the studio succession by going the family route (always a guarantee of disappointment), and his latest productions don’t seem to know what they want to be (like The Wind Rises, based on a real story but-not-really, or Ponyo, a kid movie too scary for kids). He probably wants to seal his legacy with a last masterpiece, as a proud artist of his generation would want to.

I wonder what John Lasseter or Terry Gilliam could do, if they were bestowed ownership of the almighty power of Ghibli animators’ tradition and skills. It seems such a waste to let it all die with Miyazaki.

4 Likes

It seems to me that the studio’s legacy has become more of a burden to itself than an asset. They’re spending more effort in celebrating and selling their old movies than taking risks and staying relevant. All of their movies, regardless if they’re directed by Miyazaki or not, follow the same basic ideology or formula. They really need some fresh blood but at this point it may be too late.

My hunch is that eventually Studio Ghibli may sell itself to Disney as they have an existing relationship.

6 Likes

After their previous dealings, Miyazaki reportedly swore to never let American producers touch his work ever again, so that sounds unlikely to me.

3 Likes

What, are we to be denied a Blu-Ray restoration of Warriors of the Wind? :imp:

Studio Ghibli could very well choose not to sell, but if Disney really wanted to buy them they may be able to do so. But this is just me speculating based on nothing. I would prefer to see Ghibli stay independent or sell to a Japanese studio or business.

1 Like

I had to google this word, never heard of it before. It’s a great word. Has English acquired it yet?

2 Likes

Yes yes it has…

4 Likes

Very much so. Obviously it’ll mainly be used among people who are fairly familiar with Japanese culture and/or anime/manga. I think the closest we get to it in english is nerd or geek, both words are pretty close but not quite the same.

Thanks guys.

1 Like

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.