He-Man fans hate the new series because it has too much Teela in it

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

8 Likes

Micronauts were awesome! I loved the awful, awful comics, too.

2 Likes

Teela was originally modeled off of Princess Aura in the Filmation Flash Gordon series. Those guys loved to recycle in the best ways.

3 Likes

I am 100% positive that there were people in ancient Ionia who complained that the version of the Trojan War they heard as kids was way better than the commercialized garbage Homer was telling.

15 Likes

No fandom is ‘original’ or “un-adapted;” fan-boys just need to believe that they alone are ‘special.’

10 Likes

I was looking at an old He-Man episode, and it confirmed my basic recollection, which is that it pretty much sucks as a TV show, but the backgrounds and musical beds are cool and weird. The various doll concepts are cool and weird too, but they don’t gain anything from being on screen.

The problem is, modern TV is just too professional and too sophisticated to produce that kind of organic weirdness. You can only get it by paying some oddball like $200 to make something in their garage, and then having to use whatever they come up with.

6 Likes

This makes me hope for a spin-off focused on Duncan, a person tired of being defined by his sex and his skill with weaponry, as he goes out into the world to make a name for himself as a non-binary pacifist. Person-of-Peace, coming spring 2022!

5 Likes

I had the same initial reaction but stuck through to the end. That ending was interesting enough that I watched the next episode and ended up actually enjoying the series.

1 Like

To each their own.

Personally I’m just not interested in a ‘dark, gritty’ reboot of He-Man where characters die, etc.

6 Likes

You mean, other than this one?

Yes, yes, I know the music video was a one-off, but I Want To Believe.

1 Like

DuckTales went really well. I think reboots are like anything else…they depend on people willing to put in the effort to make good characters and stories. The only difference is that people don’t simply ignore them when they don’t.

7 Likes

At the very least, most of Shakespeare’s plays were adaptations (reboots) of previously existing works. He took his historical plays from Holinshed’s Chronicles and Plutarch’s Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans. Romeo and Juliet is a theatrical version of an Arthur Brooke poem that was popular at the time. And on and on.

10 Likes

I like Kevin Smith, and did watch the show and buy the toys. But I learned a while back that there was a lot of things I enjoyed as a kid that were pretty much pure crap, and He-Man is definitely on that list. Making a new series that’s both faithful to the original and a quality show worth my time feels like an impossible task.

5 Likes

I’d only call it grim and gritty compared to the toyetic Saturday morning cartoon that had an Important Moral Message tacked on at the end of each episode. I’m not a parent, but the new one seems appropriate for kids to watch.

2 Likes

That is my point of comparison, yes.

Bottom line; some things are best left in the past, rather trying to mine them for every last possible drop of nostalgia-driven revenue.

3 Likes

No disagreement that a sequel series was pretty unnecessary. OTOH, I remember back in the 90s when they tried recycling old 60s TV shows like McHale’s Navy, Wild, Wild West, The Flintstones, and Car 54 Where Are You? into films to cash in on Boomer nostalgia, and the new He-Man is waaaaay better[1] than those attempts.

[1] The Fugitive worked out though

2 Likes

Low bar is fucking LOW.

No argument, there; that was a nostalgic rehash that actually worked

6 Likes

They don’t want something better than their childhood. They want their childhood .

All conservative philosophy in a nutshell. Always in search of an idealized past instead of an idealized future.

11 Likes

Funny, that was the first Teela I though of too!

1 Like

Just trying to remind everyone that there is a bar :smiley:. Hollywood has been trying to cash in with unnecessary sequels/remakes since forever, so I’m willing to appreciate when one such attempt produces something watchable.

“Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we have very little reason to be interested in them.” -Pauline Kael

2 Likes