Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

This is not a particularly good day to be reviewing new papers

Percentages of isolates tested by province ranged from 2.1% (Yunnan) to 18.1% (Tianjin). Among isolates submitted, resistance was identified to ciprofloxacin (97.6%), penicillin (77.8%), tetracycline (77.1%), azithromycin (16.9%), cefixime (16.0%), and ceftriaxone (8.1%) (Table 2). Only one isolate was resistant to spectinomycin. Among 2,804 isolates, those from 18 cases were identified as resistant to all antibiotics except spectinomycin.

Now, for context, spectinomycin is old, introduced in 1961, and (in the US) only available for veterinary use. Not a great final option, you know?

11 Likes

More resistance to cipro vs penicillin? I though the side effects were enough that cipro wasn’t used quite as much anymore.

3 Likes

Cipro is used fairly commonly, first choice for Lyme, resistant UTI’s. SE are there, of course, but everything has them. We try to balance the risk and benefit.

7 Likes

Any information on the exact size?
“Pill” for me implies GI tract, but…

5 Likes

Not specified, but

This guy swallowed one on stage and let it swim around in him.

11 Likes

How long until the Pill Doctor leaves the building, and will they show this too?

11 Likes

Lord, I hope not!

10 Likes

Private equity-backed urology practices control nearly 40% of the market in the Philadelphia region, according to a recent Health Affairs study that provided rare insight into the opaque world of private, for-profit health-care businesses.

https://archive.ph/AuO8G

From 2012 below. It must have tripled since then.

9 Likes

Birds ≠ cows ≠ humans.

However:

9 Likes
12 Likes
14 Likes

Can confirm. Seeing it every day. Prescribing outdoor playtime. The looks on some parents’ faces are priceless.

15 Likes

This is just… Wow, hard to comprehend something like this is real, but I guess this is where we are…

12 Likes
8 Likes

Now I’m afraid my phone is judging me. Great…

13 Likes

Why is Google Photos Memories showing me these? There’s a man, a woman, a TV, a — Hey!

9 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes

Heard this story yesterday on my way home from work. My thought at the time was, “Yeah, amazingly enough, privatizing into a system actively collapsing is a bad idea.”

11 Likes

I know it’s unlikely to affect very many, but good to know:

6 Likes