Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

Well well well…

:thinking:

ETA: fuck capitalism

8 Likes

Further adventures in avian flu, cattle and humans.

The bad news is that those lines connecting the herds aren’t solid. There are gaps in which the genetic data suggests unidentified transmission occurred, maybe in unsampled cows, maybe in other animals entirely. The genetic data is clear that once this strain of bird flu—H5N1 clade 2.3.4.4 genotype B3.13 —hopped into cattle, it could readily spread to other mammals. The genetic data links viruses from cattle moving many times into other animals: There were five cattle-to-poultry jumps, one cattle-to-raccoon transmission, two events where the virus moved from cattle to domestic cats, and three times when the virus from cattle spilled back into wild birds.

Lots more data, really difficult to follow flowcharts, and in the end, still not clear WTF is going on. Sigh, more data to come, of this I am sure.

9 Likes

Tl;dr: kindness.

8 Likes

This is my biggest bugaboo:

Likewise, Nadanovsky and his colleagues highlight that there is no evidence supporting the benefit of common scaling and polishing treatments for adults without periodontitis. And for children, cavities in baby teeth are routinely filled, despite evidence from a randomized controlled trial that rates of pain and infections are similar—about 40 percent—whether the cavities are filled or not.

For pretty much all kids under 4 or so who are taken for fillings, it requires sedation, usually in an OR, with the attendant risks of anesthesia, or considerably greater risk if done in an office setting, not to mention the exorbitant costs involved. Meanwhile, my Medicaid kids who actually do need dental care (milk bottle caries can be absolutely horrible) cannot be seen by anybody unless they can pay cash. It’s a mess, like most of healthcare.

9 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Preventative healthcare:

8 Likes

That happened to me once. The guy to the right was actually illegally passing in the parking lane, but it still meant an accident and I was only turning left because of the graciousness of the guy who was letting me in.

6 Likes

So sorry to hear that, hope it wasn’t an especially bad accident.

But yeah, I can easily imagine it happening. :grimacing:

5 Likes

Oh No Facepalm GIF

11 Likes

What needs to be added to it?

2 Likes

Manufacturers “infuse” marijuana flower by adding distillate, which is concentrated, high-potency THC oil, and terpenes, naturally occurring compounds that enhance smell and taste.

There you go. Higher octane weed, I guess?

4 Likes
11 Likes

Maybe this will get the attention of the asshat manosphere crew to clean up the environment for your balls!

(Narrator: it will not…)

11 Likes

So when somebody is overdoing it with the balls tanning, will the plastic melt?

6 Likes

I have been doing this for over 30 years now (YIKES!!) and there are not a lot of times I can say “Well, that’s a first,” but I had one today. A positive pertussis test in vaccinated kid. We are in the midst of a pertussis outbreak here, but it had been limited to unvaccinated populations. Now it is not. This was expected and predictable, just would rather it had not happened.

Effectiveness of pertussis vaccination and duration of immunity - PMC (nih.gov)

Adjusted vaccine effectiveness was 80% (95% confidence interval [CI] 71% to 86%) at 15–364 days, 84% (95% CI 77% to 89%) at 1–3 years, 62% (95% CI 42% to 75%) at 4–7 years and 41% (95% CI 0% to 66%) at 8 or more years since last vaccination. We observed waning immunity with the acellular vaccine, with an adjusted OR for pertussis infection of 1.27 (95% CI 1.20 to 1.34) per year since last vaccination.

With enough exposure, that 80-84% effectiveness (or 16-20% ineffectiveness) becomes significant. Keep this in mind the next time you hear someone say that “if your kids are immunized, why do you care if mine are?” And keep in mind a very miserable baby whose parents did the right thing, but chose their friends poorly.

10 Likes

Some weird, but good, news. Because we need something good.

For the trial, 60 patients with tetraplegia underwent the stimulation therapy over at least 24 sessions during a two-month period. At the end, 72 percent (43 patients) saw clinically meaningful improvements in both strength and functional performance. Further, 90 percent (54 patients) saw improvement from at least one strength or functional outcome. There were no serious adverse events reported.

No reason this should have worked. No explanation offered. But the improvement seems to be real, so…

12 Likes
10 Likes

So, yeah, not just us. Come on, folks, get your kids vaccinated. Get yourselves vaccinated. I’ve seen kids die of pertussis. It’s very fucking real.

10 Likes