Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

Huh, the pertussis vaccine. Never even heard of it. :grimacing:

3 Likes

yeah, it’s one of the new ones. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

So adults should get it too?

Is it one of those where you’re fine if you had it as a kid? Oh wait, it’s new. Ugh…

(I’d use the Googlay Machine, but I hardly trust it anymore.)

1 Like

The “new” version is referred to as TDaP and approved for 10 and up. Vaccine effectiveness wanes with time:

I got my last booster 4 years ago. Usually recommended every 10 years, although looking at those numbers, I’m not at all sure that is often enough if these outbreaks continue. And they will, because “FREE-DUMB.” :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

Well, hell, this is not good…

On day 4, the animals were euthanized to prevent extended suffering. Subsequent analysis found that the mice had high levels of H5N1 bird flu virus in their respiratory tracts, as well their hearts, kidneys, spleens, livers, mammary glands, and brains.

If this bastard can learn to spread via airborne routes, anybody remember Captain Tripps?

13 Likes

Thats Bad Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

4 Likes
8 Likes

Yep! Got mine last week.*

Roll Up Your Sleeves GIF by NBC

*Not a fun one; already had a cold when I got it which felt closer to flu the next day. Which, most assuredly, still feels better than a case of tetanus, diphtheria, &/or pertussis. And it wasn’t quite as bad as the shingles vaccine which, similarly, is better than a case of shingles.

10 Likes

Ahhh, it’s a threefer!

5 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes

Makes life better for moms, safer for babies, and of course, best of all, makes my life easier! Yay!!!

Excited Season 7 GIF by The Office

Seriously, this is great and way past due. So yay!

11 Likes

Not the usual fare here, but definitely health adjacent, at least…

I know a couple of folks who are going to ignore this notice, I hope not to their own cost…

11 Likes

Wait, still? Takata recalls have been going on since 2018 at least.

5 Likes

Also health adjacent, free promotional tumblers are poisoning people.

9 Likes
11 Likes

US nears deal to fund Moderna’s bird flu vaccine trial, FT reports

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-nears-deal-fund-modernas-bird-flu-vaccine-trial-ft-reports-2024-05-30/

8 Likes

Now, this is far from a great study. Most obviously, it relied on iPhone usage, which automatically skews the demographic. And the numbers they cite are a bit off from what we are seeing here, at least. But the overall gist looks right. This is the part that caught my eye, though.

It’s unclear what’s driving the menstrual changes, but the authors speculate that there could be a multitude of factors. The most prominent potential factor is childhood obesity, which has increased in the US over the course of the study period and is known to be linked to earlier puberty. However, the authors note that obesity doesn’t explain the totality of the shifts—an exploratory analysis indicated that obesity only accounted for 46 percent of the trends seen in the study. And other studies have indicated that the shift toward earlier menstrual cycles began before the upward trend of obesity in the US.
The authors of the current study point to various potential environmental factors, including endocrine-disrupting chemicals, metals, air pollutants, dietary patterns, psychosocial stress, and adverse childhood experiences.

I see folks trying to blame this on sedentary habits of “this lazy generation.” I will absolutely use this info next time I hear that argument. We need to be examining the other likely contributors. Just like microplastics found in testes, I fear we are creating a world that we cannot survive in.

9 Likes

Not better than stopping pollution; but protect the kids in the meantime.

11 Likes
10 Likes