Heartbreaking visit to a delusional Qanon family

The problem with that logic is sort of the “(enter person who overcame great hardship to succeed) proves that (enter great hardship) is no impediment” argument to minimize poverty, racism, etc. Some will overcome their obstacles, no matter what they are, but the more difficulties there are, the more kids will fail. They may overcome this upbringing, but a good number won’t. They shouldn’t have to. But we have a long tradition of “kids are the property of their parents.” And allowing “you are not bringing your kids up with the proper values” as a reason to remove them is a very dangerous path, all things considered. But I hurt for these kids and the immoral hellscape they are being brought up in. I can only hope they find their way.
Obviously, I have no answers here. Just pain.

26 Likes

that’s definitely it’s advantage. not every believer has to believe the same thing.

it’s a bit like the opposite of science maybe, in that science isnt a belief it’s a methodology. qanon is similar. “do your own research” is the methodology… where “research” means rely entirely on trust networks that confirm your implicit biases

13 Likes

A useful summary:

13 Likes

Funny how Hannibal Lecter got in a lot of trouble for actually doing that.

2 Likes

Doing what?

2 Likes

I get ripped up on that, too. Like, mustard gas is man made, but I’m sure as heck going to put on a mask if it’s coming towards me, and other protective gear!
I always felt the same about how the right tries to divert conversations about climate change by arguing that it’s not caused by human activity. I mean, who cares? Neither is radon, but we try to reduce its negative effects.

16 Likes

Ingesting someone’s actual body and blood, I’d guess.

15 Likes

Oh! I somehow missed the mention of transubstantiation… Not reading closely enough… it’s too cold! :cold_face:

16 Likes

To engulf them in fear and make them dependent on you as the only source of truth in the world?

9 Likes

“We’re starting to get the impression that if they’d put as much effort into the movie as the code, it’d be goddamn Citizen Kane.”

instead, of course, they thought it terrible.

5 Likes

That was interesting, but it didn’t improve the movie for me.

I was hoping Silver Lake would be brilliant (since It Follows was really good).

It was not.

6 Likes

Dear lord no. Disappearance is largely true enough, but absolutely not irrelevance or erasure from the historical record. All of these weird culty political movement carve deep ruts in our political system. Understanding modern politics without those and some of the related millenarian religious movements is a fool’s errand.

9 Likes

Funny you say that - I thought overall they sounded exactly like kids their age sound, except when they were reciting the qnut manifesto.

But even then, they just reminded me of kids that want to get all the test answers correct. Especially under mom and dads watchful eye.

And note they still say ‘my dad says’ and talk wistfully about school/friends, I don’t think they are 100% sold on the qnut path even now.

I don’t even really disagree with the general sentiment of what you said, I’ve seen the ‘blessings’ that rigorous home schooling brings. Lots of ditch diggers that didn’t want to grow up to be ditch diggers. But at the end of the day I agree with the more positive posts here - there is a decent amount of hope for them

They’re just some little kids. They have their whole life in front of them. With some luck they’ll be fine.

Even their parents could be fine if they could get away from this qnut nonsense long enough. Might need a little more the time though, from what I saw.

All of them would still have really deep emotional scars though, it’s unavoidable at this point. The kids are old enough to remember everything, and the parents are #TrueBelievers.

7 Likes

Agree 100%

3 Likes

St. Joseph’s was my first church. Then Our Lady of Grace.

9 Likes

Towards the end of the interview (about 3:31 or so), the kids indicate that they have few, or zero friends. One wonders if that is related to the Qnutisms that they spout, or how much their parents don’t want them being “influenced” by others. Sad…

10 Likes

or how much other kid’s parents don’t want their own children exposed to the bullshit.

14 Likes

Holy smokes, I went to St. Patrick’s school as well but mine was in Cleveland and the nun in charge was a horrible woman named Sister Mary Eileen. Now I only go to church for weddings and funerals.

5 Likes

The John Birch Society was deeply entwined with Alt-Med fraud and the supplement industry. They certainly didn’t go away or die out. They just rebranded.

12 Likes

And the inevitable corollary that we must first eliminate all the Counter-revolutionary Saboteurs / Jews / Freemasons / Pedophile Elites who are holding it back, and then the Millennium will dawn.

6 Likes