Heavy denim "Starfleet" jackets

clearly the simplest* solution is for me to find or make a pattern of my own, and then sew myself a hoodie or jacket in this style.

*I may have no idea what “simple” actually means.

7 Likes

I used to do a talk on Star Trek uniforms at the museum. Wil Wheaton confirmed that the season one uniforms were universally loathed by the cast. However, the women in the cast still got jumpsuits even in later seasons … some of which zipped up the back.

If there’s a more inconvenient article of clothing, I don’t know what it is. I guess no one has to pee urgently in the future.

9 Likes

We’ve got a sizing consult on the website, if you send your measurements we can recommend the size for you. If you then don’t like the fit you can always exchange or return the item. We’re here to help!

3 Likes

The photos are actual photos of the pre-production samples, which are what we use to define the quality standards for the production model. The only difference from what you see here and the final product is that the design studio doesn’t have massive professional pressing machines, so the finishing on the final product will be nicer than what’s in these photos.

If you still aren’t sure, buy one and if you aren’t satisfied return it. We’ve got a sizing consult form on the website so if you aren’t sure what size to get, we can recommend one based on your measurements.

4 Likes

It’s really NOT IMPRESSIVE much.:slightly_frowning_face: What I REALLY HATE is the zipper position. It should be on the OTHER SIDE of the jacket so one has enough space to put up the communicator pin. :frowning_face: Yeah really bad design there. And the COST - YEAH SCREW THAT! :fu:t5:

The uniforms on TNG always looked like onesies to me.

2 Likes

He did that because of his back? I did not know that.

3 Likes

What’s the definition of “heavy” denim?

Is it 15 oz, like Carhartt’s?

Apparently, he always leans on the scenery too whenever he can; and puts his foot on things.

He had a prior job moving furniture and did himself a lasting mischief. It makes his easy charm all the more amazing.

1 Like

Not only that, but by making it right-over-left it looks like a mirror of the movie era maroon jacket.

I know, I sound like a broken record, but that would be a great biker’s jacket. Maroon leather, with a white leather shoulder strap and a black Starfleet belt. Rank and Starfleet pins extra.

3 Likes

Heavy denim, in my book, counts as 10oz+. This jacket is 12oz I believe, but I can’t remember if that is per linear yard or square yard, nor do I know how Carhartt measures the weight, although I imagine it’s is linear yard because it tends to sound better.

Importantly, the material we use is always chosen for it’s durability, but this stuff is still hardier than most of our current selection.

2 Likes

The maroon jacket is also something we’ve always wanted to make. Don’t worry, it’s on the to do list.

We’ve also tested this TNG design with the magnetic com badges and it’s actually not a problem at all. In fact, I think it looks great with the badge placed over the zipper because aesthetically it continues the line up through the upward point of the accent. I do understand the concern and the criticism, and we will be posted more photos with the badge next week.

I have always seen the zipper run up through the center of the jacket when other companies have made TNG designs, and I feel like that is not incorporated into the aesthetic of the uniform, and so wanted to try a different take on the concept.

2 Likes

I am looking forward to it. It was the only uniform that actually looked like a jacket.

And yes, a big problem with the TOS and TNG uniforms was that they were not supposed to have any visible zippers or Velcro. The conceit was that they were supposed to be highly advanced synthetics which had closing mechanisms more advanced than buttons or zippers, were in theory disposable as Roddenberry and his team declared that starships had no laundry, they disintegrated dirty laundry in special machines and the crew member would get a new one fabbed.

3 Likes

I was tickled to ready that the costumes for the women on series like Deep Space 9 included different bras to reduce the visible impact of their breast. Bras for dark costumes apparently contained padding and the bras for light uniforms were constricting, so the over all visual effect was the same… then it appears that the production team said, “Oh frell it!” and along came 7 of 9 :smiley:

Marina Sirtis, who played Deanna Troi, said that her early costumes contained so much “scaffolding” that when she took it off at the end of the day it was like her boobs vanished. I have heard (but cannot confirm) that Kate Mulgrew’s Janeway uniform was similarly structured but she ripped out the bra and refused to wear it.

I like to believe it because it sounds like something she’d do.

5 Likes

2 Likes

I got one of those TNG style hoodies a while back, and I actually do find that to be the case with those…

1 Like

riker-surprise

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.