Heavy Ecstasy Parking Lot: Ravers the day after a massive rave in 1993

“Oh, is this the way they say the future’s meant to feel?
Or just twenty thousand people standing in a field?
And I don’t quite understand just what this feeling is
But that’s okay 'cause we’re all sorted out for E’s and wizz.”

4 Likes

Not surprising. A recreational dose of MDMA is massively larger than its therapeutic dose (yep, there is such a thing, according to the researchers who’ve investigated it as a treatment for depression, PTSD, and OCD). Chronic use of that stuff at recreational dosages can permanently damage serotonergic neurons as well as pathways relying on serotonin as a neurotransmitter.

Yup. I know several people who, after overdosing on E were completely different people, lost a lot of cognitive function and really just cached out their brains. Very sad.

I remember some terrible predictions about the long term effects of ecstasy, that heavy users (and there were a lot of heavy users around at the time) would suffer badly from depression and related problems. Did it ever happen, and just wasn’t considered newsworthy, or did it turn out to be fear mongering?

1 Like

Here’s something I found using my local library’s online Academic Journal search:

Psychopharmacology 2004 - Chronic MDMA (ecstasy) use, cognition and mood.pdf (links to a PDF copy on google drive)

(by the way, public libraries are amazing)

5 Likes

Why is this being posted again? It was just posted a few months ago… Besides, this shit is grating. It’s classist. “Look a plebe doing something slightly out of the ordinary! Quick point shout and fetishize it!”.

1 Like

Exactly!!!

Yup public libraries are the best!

1 Like

Ur doin it rong.

3 Likes

So that explains Paul Staines then!

1 Like

don’t get me wrong – i went to a rave or two back in the day. loved the music (still do), and i loved the communal experience of it all. i was just wondering what happened to this person in particular. does she look back on her youthful experiences with a smile, or with embarrassment and a tinge of regret?

Your question deserves a thorough, peer-reviewed answer. Unfortunately, I’m short on time right now to supply one. LDoBe’s linked original study is an excellent start, and I’ll try to supplement it with a more recent literature review when I have time.

My interim answer is that if one intends on taking illicit substances to enhance one’s connection with those around oneself, one is better off seeking out such substances whose therapeutic index is very, very large and whose use results in improved resilience, not reduced.

2 Likes

My favorite of the genre: (check out mom jeans at about 40 seconds)

And, it wouldn’t be complete w/out the Benny HIll version:

Side question: WTF with all the gum chewing? Was never in this scene, but I’m guessing it has to do with drug use…

1 Like

Pulp references are an easy way to get a like from me.

1 Like

I was in the Hard room at a Judgement Day in the late 90s where DJ Smurf actually did play Yakety Sax.

4 Likes

Good guess. E can make you jaw-clenchy, thus the gum and candy and baby pacifiers. Personally, I think it’s not a great idea to chew gum, especially coming up, because it encourages itself — you are going to be married to that fucking gum for the next few hours. Best to be aware of it and consciously relax.

See Erowid Psychoactives & Health: Jaw Tension Relief Techniques

3 Likes

The gum chewing back then is for the same reason kandi kids suck on pacifiers today. It’s to avoid grinding one’s teeth down to pegs while on stimulant drugs.

I managed to grind my teeth down even while chewing gum.

The gum also helps to fight cottonmouth, which happens with pretty much any stimulant drug.

1 Like

My one experience with E was great fun, bizarrely at a work party of sorts. The next day was less fun as 100 serotonin deprived people tried not to crash and burn.

Glens mixes are… eclectic, yes. :smiley:

1 Like

My point, exactly.