Hedge fund manager buys drug company, raises price of pill from $13.50 to $750

That’s at least predicated on the notion that the company that develops the drug is recouping costs of RnD. Rare disease companies are almost all quite unprofitable and if your potential “customer” pool is extremely small, you wont develop the drug in the first place without charging a lot. Almost no drugs are developed in non profit settings unfortunately. Here the guy has taken a drug he had no hand in developing and which is generic (and can and has been sold profitably for less than $20) and exploited market enificiencies to exploit the sick, which I’d say is quite a bit worse.

3 Likes

Unfortunately…

–edit–
p.s.

I’ll just leave this link here in an attempt to look better read & more intellectual than reality:

p.p.s.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet , consectetur adipiscing elit. Until a platform bed . But it is very important Mauris . Ante ac quam consectetur adipiscing congue ligula nor Maecenas hendrerit. Until soft and pain . Real estate , and the poverty -free Praesent sit amet diam eget of life propaganda. For tincidunt congue For, as the gate of the lorem lacinia consectetur. As long as a non -free , but bow vehicula ultricies temperature.

You know, I know a guy who wants to build a REALLY BIG wall, and it would be ESPECIALLY awesome because he’d be one of the guy;s up against it by most accounts!

PRETTY PLEASE?!?!

What leads you to believe those costs were not included in the figure quoted of $1 per pill?

1 Like

I’d rather it not at the expense of safety, you don’t need to dismantle the FDA to keep profiteering at a low, that’s only great for the Koch-kin.

Maybe he has toxoplasmosis and the parasite has changed his behavior, forcing him to raise the price more than 5,000%, as a very inspired survival mechanism for toxo. (Toxo may change the behavior of infected rats, making them less afraid of cats, so that the infection spreads via cat feces).

8 Likes

Exactly. You’ll have this and Dr Oztopia.

15 Likes

Americans have proven to be remarkably resistant to killing the parasites that feed upon them - maybe don’t hold your breath.

3 Likes

Simplistic but appropriate: Capitalism is NOT a social system --it is an economic system that rent takers dress up and proclaim as a cure-all. Snake oil maybe, but not a social system.

p.s. Fuck this guy

8 Likes

Seize the rights to the drug under eminent domain then release the drug under a general public license. If the market is inefficient eliminate it.

2 Likes

Don’t care. It’s unethical, predatory behavior and a cancer on society. How much would I pay for a pill* that would make him go away…

*please, interpret “pill” in any and every way imaginable.

2 Likes

You know, post-communism Albania has been ruled by its mafia for some years. A very rare literal case of kleptocracy. Albania has gotten better since, but now and then I’ve been wondering what happened of the former mobster ruling class. Now I’m starting to get an idea…

2 Likes

There are no rights to the drug. It’s been off patent for at least 40 years now. The thing is that this company is trying to enforce trade secrets long after they exchanged their legal right to trade secrets for the federally enforced protection of a patent.

If the USPTO actually ever did its job and rejected shitty, incomplete patents, the patent application would be so thorough and complete that any organic chemist of average skill in the field should be able to synthesize the drug using nothing but the patent. That’s how patent is supposed to work. You give detailed instructions to the government which makes them publicly available in exchange for a limited monopoly that eventually runs out. Using the patent system while also keeping trade secrets is dirty dealing and ethically equivalent to treason as far as I’m concerned.

9 Likes

Toxoplasmosis is the parasite in cat poop that supposedly turns us all into cat ladies. Anyone manufacturing this stuff stands to make a ton of money if there ever becomes a home test for toxo, or some quack on the Internet drums up enough hysteria.

Is that asshole supposed to look like white Jesus/the Lion from Wizard of OZ?

This is where I wish there was a more vibrant formulary pharmacy community.
You can have this done by a number of bespoke small batch chemists in China who are most famous for filling law skirting experimental ‘bath salts’ designer recreational drug batch mail orders but otherwise you need a friend who is willing to bend the law with the skills and access to a university or pharmaceutical research lab. The economist in me says that through regulatory blocking off easy access to the market for known generics we end up with ‘opportunities’ like this guy grabbed and exploited.

2 Likes

Often laughing at, and ridiculing them hurts them a lot more. No legal recourse either.

3 Likes

Maybe that just requires the right free-market pricing structure to solve that little issue.

1 Like

I’d love to meet the guy in a dark alley.