Heh - London squidlock

Completely unnoteworthy was the companyā€™s failure to apologise for its purpose.

I think it was deliberate. Made the headlines.

But was it a hardcore hip-hop octopus?

I meant the companyā€™s general, inherent purpose, not the squidā€™s.

2 Likes

It was an, ā€œIā€™m half awake and making vague connections,ā€ comment. Sorry!

Donā€™t apologise to me; apologise to the many victims of the gambling company : p

1 Like

Thatā€™s one industry I will never, ever work for.

About a year ago I was hanging out with a fellow Bike Shed volunteer; it was about 10 or 11 on a Friday or Saturday night and weā€™re at the train station.

Our train rocks up, and some scumbag has dropped a bunch of dough on turning the train blue all over with ads for a gambling smartphone appā€¦ we go in the train and itā€™s blue everywhere inside, all over the windows and on each end of the carriage. The train is fairly full in terms of seats, but nobodyā€™s standing to block the view.

At the end of the carriage is this dickhead with his ā€˜you know it makes senseā€™ catchphrase. Iā€™m sitting there fuming, coming to the boilā€¦ and my mate is a young bloke of the BMX-riding, permanent-marker-wielding persuasion, so I hit him up for a texta.

So right there in front of everyone, I take my time to write ā€˜TO BE A MUGā€™ in matching block letters under ā€˜YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSEā€™ on the vinyl ad, bold as brass. I didnā€™t give a flying fuck, particularly with a couple of beers in me. Not that Iā€™m of the texta-wielding persuasion myself; I take a dim view of vandalism.

But naturally, defacing and subverting ads is another matter entirely; nobody ever asks permission to shove propaganda in my face. But one doofus in the audience couldnā€™t make the distinction; he wanted to physically assault me for damaging public propertyā€¦ I left aside the point that the public certainly didnā€™t own the bit of vinyl stuck to the train that Iā€™d defaced, and instead focused on the point that the trains had been privatised a decade ago. The authoritarian dipshit kinda failed to grasp the significance of that, thoughā€¦

Still, there wouldā€™ve been a couple of handfuls of folks who found the exchange entertaining, if not edifying.

As for the fuckwit, what are the odds he was a gambler, eh?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 991 days. New replies are no longer allowed.