"Hello, I'd like to add you to my professional network on Linkedin" is the new "Christ, what an asshole"

I see the source of the problem, right there. Try switching to Glenfarclas for a while, and see if that clears it up.

(Just kidding, it’s all valuable export revenue)

1 Like

I have, and believe me it’s help but not of the career-advancing type. :wink: I’m more of a peaty scotch drinker and like the Islays over the others. Yes, Glenfarclas is one of the peatier Speysides. For Islays, there is something about the Bowmores that rubs me the wrong way; I will drink them but do not prefer them. I am more of a Lagavulin/Laphroaig/Caol Ila person. Although, Highland Park 18 is incredible, and so is Macallan 25. Drat, I can’t decide. Ignore everything I just wrote.

2 Likes

You want peat? Try talisker. No promises about career advancement, though.

In return for my valuable advice, beer recommendations would be appreciated. I’m currently in Bruges, with far too many choices. (#humblebrag)

3 Likes

Small quantities, then: dubbels and tripels, if you are a scotch drinker. Those sip the best. I’ve never been to Bruges, so I don’t know what they have. But based on our conversation so far, you sound like a sipper and a taster not a drinker and a waster.

Oh and a question: do you like Dalwhinnie? I love it. It’s like a candy treat. The precise opposite of my regular tastes.

That would be a useful category for Linkedin, actually: most jobs require some amount of off-site social interaction, whether it be golf, drinks, karaoke, etc., so an indication of which activity is preferred would be helpful.

For example, I’m much more likely to hire you than some golfer, I can tell you that right now!

3 Likes

Hey, if that’s a serious offer, PM me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not actually looking to hire anyone right now, unfortunately, but let me put you in my binders of men for future reference!

11 Likes

Thanks, Mrs. Romney. I look forward to chatting with you when the time is right.

4 Likes

Linkedin is my professional facebook. It’s everyone I don’t know well enough to friend, but who I might want to make contact with if I am ever hiring or needing to be hired. It’s handy if I want to look up contact info for someone I worked with 10 years ago but have not kept in touch with.

Probably certain industries benefit from it more than others. Maybe software engineering is the sweet spot where you’re specialized enough that people you don’t know might seek you out to hire you, but not so specialized that everyone in the field knows everyone else

1 Like

Depends on what you like, beer-wise. If you’re not familiar with the usual suspects in Belgium, that’d be an obvious first thing to try. Duvel, Westmalle, Chimay, Leffe blonde, Orval etc. If you are familiar with these, well, one can always try finding the rest of the Belgian trappist beers, e.g. Achel, Rochefort, maybe even Wesvleteren. If that’s done with, maybe it’s time to start checking out the spontaneously fermented Gueuze: the fairly easy Mort Subit, Oud Beersels oude Gueuze, or something from Cantillon. Cantillon is also a fun brewery to visit, if you pass Brussels.

Apart from that, well, one can simply always try any beer one hasn’t tried. There is a bit of overly sweet kriek, and I always found all saisons I tried to be a bit on the light side, but other than that, there’s a lot of tasty stuff.

3 Likes

Eh, I like it. Only social media I do. Let’s me keep track of my ex-coworkers. Change emails too much, and don’t like to keep email addresses in email, anyway.

Recruiters… they actually usually do their homework with me, but I am in niche field.

Did facebook for awhile, but way too intrusive and addictive for my tastes.

Don’t post on there or anything, but it is good for that. You don’t have to check it or post or anything.

I actually double checked the author, to see why they may have had problems - it is Cory Doctorow - actually Cory is one of the few people ever worked with don’t have on there. Did a search just now, don’t see his name in there. (Ex-opencola, like fifteen years ago.)

Bit of a security hazard, because it means my resume is “out there”, but meh, not like I have spies and cops gunning for me or some shit.

They can eat it, even if they were, lol.

Met up with a bunch of ex-coworkers, coordinated partly via linked in, at last blackhat, so has some value for me, anyway.

2 Likes

Color me disappointed, I had hoped OpenCola was the open source soft drink :smile:

If you see someone next year at blackhat/Defcon that looks seriously out of place, say hi to me.

By out of place I mean a lot of tweed.

5 Likes

I’m just going to say this once more: tweed underwear is NOT a thing.

5 Likes

I smokt tweed once, but dint inhalet.

8 Likes

Heh… :smile: Everyone is out of place there. I hadn’t been in four years, just keeps growing exponentially every year. Just this super giant crowd, I just stand outside of it all, watch and have a smoke.

But, must be my sort, which is out of place even in that group. :smile:

Opencola… naw, actually one of the more amazing places I worked. Presaged a lot of today’s major technology. Youtube like project, distributed downloading, relevancy based social media, anonymity distributed proxy engine… prototype level, but always fun to be on prototype projects and see the tech grow.

There was an actual cola… wasn’t bad, but I am cherry focused. Code red only, and all the time. That and smokes is 90% of my diet. So, yeah, you would fit in fine, lol.

3 Likes

I have an account on LinkedIn. Don’t know for sure what it has done for me, but mmmmmaybe it has done some things. Don’t think I’ve gotten anything out of careers.stackoverflow.com. I’ve used the messaging on LinkedIn. But I haven’t had to network too much – I’ve been serially employed for umpteen years, now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.