Help! I need this dress!

I think “carwash” refers to multiple slits.

(Has an animation of the effect)

2 Likes

It’s a “stretchy knit”, though

Wow, they’re not kidding about that car wash effect. I had the Rose Royce song playing in my head.

3 Likes

Yep, it does. Or sometimes fringe . . .

Why don’t more clothing listings come with video?

3 Likes

Have you tried Alibaba?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-Suppliler-Womens-Sleeveless-High-Low_60428555154.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.0ERYFH

%100 polyester satin!

(plus, you’re quids in if you can sell the other 199 you don’t need…)

3 Likes

Are we still playing this game?

1 Like

Fame & Partners, unfortunately, is out because they custom-make the dresses and it’s 10-14 business days. The dress she wanted was on there. I’m going to show her some of these, though, and hope she doesn’t sneer at them (I’m getting very tired of dress shopping lol).

4 Likes

Everything linked so far is fabulous. Except possibly the forever21 I linked, cause it will likely last 36 hours tops. They are not known for quality.

Couldn’t you find something on The Real Real? Finding a 2 year old Stella McCartney might be asking too much, but you should be able to find something equally fabulous from last season or the one before that for a pretty decent price.

1 Like

Sorry for the off topic :smiley:

1 Like

Why . . . why did you have to post that site . . . By which I mean, THANK YOU! Someday I will be back to working full time again, and then I think some new clothes are in order. I’ve never heard of that site and it is amazing.

2 Likes

Oh it is a dangerous site. You might see an Oscar de la Renta for $350 and slowly convince yourself that hey, if it is less than a third of the original price, it is totally worth it and start trying to justify the a $5,000 Valentino (down from $15K though… so clearly a deal :)).

Whatever you do, stay away from the bags. Just, don’t look.

Edit: Argh I looked since I couldn’t help myself. The most adorable Hermès Sac Roulis. $13K. Oh and sooo many Jean Paul Gaultier Birkins and Kellys. Oh and my favorite Goyard, the Saigon.

5 Likes

I went through that phase with Gilt.

Right this second every piece of clothing I’m wearing came from Target.

4 Likes

I own so many things from the Target clearance racks :smile: I’m not too fussed about brand names (except I will talk about my one particular favorite brand of shoes all day), but I would be willing to shell out for some quality pieces, since I know I’m going to keep them for years and years.

2 Likes

You are aware I hope that Satin can ruin your life.

6 Likes

Honestly, it would probably be better and faster to just have the seamstress MAKE that dress from scratch to the daughter’s measurements.

1 Like

I lucked out this year: my senior daughter (who is a total clothes horse and seems to magically find the most expensive items when she walks into a store) wanted to bring her younger sister, and the school said no. She fired off a polite but pointed email stating she wouldn’t go to the prom at all if the school’s family values were so shallow, and I’m quite a bit freer and richer for the situation!

She’s on the prom committee, BTW. It would be funny if it weren’t so seriously messed up. As she pointed out in her email, she personally knows of three over-21-year-olds whom the school HAS allowed to get a ticket as the guest of a senior, which seems to be much more fraught with potential age-difference issues (alcohol, sexual manipulation, etc.) than bringing a sibling who’s 3 1/2 years younger.

6 Likes

Without scrolling up, I knew immediately who the poster had to be!

4 Likes

I. Have. Opinions!

6 Likes

Sorry for not replying here guys, I was out all day yesterday volunteering for a museum event. My daughter says “Thank you BoingBoing, for trying to find me a dress.” We’re on our way to what is apparently the local dress boutique today to try things on.

11 Likes