Help wanted at candy store. No complainers, know-it-alls, whiners, sloths, manipulators, roamers, hiders, shirkers, liars, haters, clock watchers, controllers, passive aggressors, pukers, or splitters

tenor

11 Likes

Candy stores – usually with an ice cream counter as well – are a thing in the Midwest, FWIW.

11 Likes

It was from Tales From The Crypt.

1 Like

When I was a kid (in the midwest) we’d get our ice cream down at the 5&10 cent store. I’ve never been in one of these huge candy stores, is the size for tables so people can sit and eat their ice cream, or are there actual aisles of candy?

My daughter took me to one when I visited her in Minnesota. A huge building, row upon row of candies and candy-related merchandise. Lots of fun things to look at, antiques, retro advertising, etc. but mostly more kinds of candy than I ever knew existed.

6 Likes

He doesn’t seem to be good at controlling what he lists, mentions, or infers.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I meant.

Yes, each voice in the response (except those threatening him, of course) may have been right in their own magnitude of scorn, but it’s the number of responses that turns it into a mob.

That’s exactly what I meant by “do I need to add my voice to this?”

If I had something new to tell him, something that would make him go “oh boy, that’s the angle I was missing, I repent!” then it would be great for me to chime in, but the chances of that happening are zero. Instead I’d just be helping make the mob.

10 Likes

Here are two of our family’s favorites:

Kilwin’s, just north of 53rd Street in Hyde Park/Kenwood:

Lickity Split, south of Granville on North Broadway, with several of our favorite Ethiopian restaurants less than a block away (if we’re going to drive to the far north side of the city, might as well make it worth our while):

14 Likes

TLDR; where’s my dang candy?!
Give It To Me Want GIF

7 Likes

Thank you for this well -explained opinion. I had been thinking similarly to the commenter you replied to, but you’ve convinced me. Except for the small nagging sense that I just really want a morally plausible hall pass to enjoy the fun of hating on this asshat. But you’re completely right that even those who have the privilege of offering work must be clear on how that power can mess with someone else who needs money to live. Nice when I’m reminded of all the good that a boing boing comments section can still be.

2 Likes

btw- LOVE your avatar. Pynchon. Tristero.

And, of course, the single word that connects your avatar to MY username…

3 Likes

now 'm feeling paranoid, man

1 Like

that word: YOYODYNE.

3 Likes

I feel like I just watched “Repo Man” from 1984 (not to be confused with the far inferior “Repo Men” from 2010).

2 Likes

It’s kind of funny to read it out loud like Jimmy Stewart giving an impassioned speech. Not that I’ve just spent the last ~five minutes trying to convince my cats to stop maligning my candy store in a Jimmy Stewart voice or anything. But if I were to cop to having done that, it’d be kind of funny.

1 Like

Another Stefon thread. This candy store has it all: complainers, know-it-alls, whiners, sloths, manipulators, roamers, hiders, shirkers, liars, haters, clock watchers, controllers, passive aggressors, pukers, and splitters.

7 Likes

Could be misreading the tone, but does he think “Cancel Culture” is an actual organisation, similar to how some people think Antifa is an actual organisation?

3 Likes

Another famous traditional candy store across Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri is Russell Stover Candies, who also acquired Whitman’s in '93. We had a shop in downtown Wichita for many years that had a corner facade made up of cobalt blue, mirrored tile. I remember thinking it was the coolest architectural feature I had ever seen besides the two-story terraced stairway surrounding a fountain feature at JC Penney’s in uptown Wichita.

This is one of their stores in Kansas City, but you get the idea.

7 Likes

Oh, now you’re making me think of Abdallah Candy near Powderhorn Park in Minneapolis! They’ve done so well, expanding out through the state. Best licorice toffee!

That’s the thing that really bites about this stupid candy store owner: it’s a Midwestern tradition, someplace happy and cheery, a place you go to celebrate, or just have a little treat, or bring something home or as a gift when you go visit others. Warm childhood memories.

This owner simply doesn’t have the skill set or temperament to run a candy store. My guess is that he scares the customers away, too, which ends in a vicious cycle of anger and frustration. And it’s always someone else’s fault.

5 Likes

It isn’t elegantly worded, but most of it sounds like they don’t want a toxic work environment for their employees. Anyone who has had manufactured office/work drama can attest to how draining it can be. YMMV.

2 Likes