Here are the most popular toys of the year, going back to 1920

oh yeah – we had Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, Silly Putty… all that stuff. amazing how much older it all is! i would’ve said that Erector sets were 1950s or 1960s for sure.

3 Likes

I wonder if 9/11 made parents reassess how fleeting life is, with many wanting to make sure to spoil their kids just in case they couldn’t in future.

13 Likes

No stick and hoop? No ball in a cup?

10 Likes

TWO presents!?

Alison Brie What GIF

10 Likes

The local mom-and-pop toy store in my town miraculously managed to outlast the local Toys R Us thanks to personalized service and a loyal following, but sadly didn’t survive the Covid shutdown in spring and summer of 2020. They tried to do the order online / curbside pickup thing for a few months but not many takers for that when online orders at Amazon are infinitely easier.

2 Likes

Toy

10 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Don’t forget “dirt bombs”.

GPS replaces the compass on the ‘butt’.

1 Like

1940: Red Ryder BB Gun

YOU’LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!

2 Likes

What’s brown and sticky!

1 Like

I didn’t get so many of the 70’s toys until nearly the 80’s, but I did have Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Slinkys, Silly Putty, Shinkey Dinks, Weebles, and eventually Barbies I never wanter or asked for (I asked for a slot car track set that year, dammit!). I actually still have the Lite Brite that I got for xmas in '76 or '77. I got a Simon right around '79, and had a decent collection of Rubix puzzles in the early '80’s. I didn’t get an Atari 2600 until about '83, but I still have one (my 4th unit - if I sell or or give it away, another will walk into my life, so I’m keeping the current unit).

If anyone still has a functional, not-leaking Super Soaker 30 from 1993, I would like to make an offer. It was the best tool I ever had for training cats. Sadly, mine died around 2010. Nothing Nerf is producing today comes close to the same quality.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I’m going to quote you out of context when the occasion presents itself, so apologies in advance.

2 Likes

The 1920s were kiling it. Those toys are still gifted and treasured today. I was a 20s, 50s, and 60s toy consumer as a child but some stuff from the 30s and 40s were thrown in. Loved Tonka trucks! They were tough enough to ride on top of.

2 Likes

Were those plastic Lego knock-offs called Tog’l? I had Tog’l. I could never make anything cool with them, though.

1 Like

Magic 8 Ball for my natal year.:8ball:
I do not make a decision without it!
Except when I flip a coin.

3 Likes

George Oh My

Yes!
Tog'l
That’s them allright!

I also remember getting in big trouble for getting Silly Putty stuck in our short, dense, green wool carpet. Never could clean off all of it :frowning:

4 Likes

I have a vivid memory of my 5 year-old self watching a friend build a lumpy agglomeration of Tog’ls, attaching a tube with a plastic bellows to it, and somehow making his creation “breathe.” I was never able to replicate whatever it was he did, try though I might.

4 Likes

I loved learning that it was originally marketed as a paperweight.
If I ever walk into an office for official business and see one of those used as a paperweight, I will be highly impressed by that worker!

6 Likes