The 1982 JC Penney Christmas Catalog

[Permalink]

1 Like

I used to hoard these and stare at them while balled up on the heat outlet with a blanket covering me in winter.
I think I recognize some stuff but I think either '84 or '85 and maybe Sears would have been my true precious, my parents kept the one which arrived in the mail but I finally got one for myself at the mall.
Like this catalog I think Sears still had firearms in their US catalog into the 80s. I remember imagining owning a listed chemistry set and Armitron(?) robot arm to pour imagined explosive/hazardous chemical mixtures.
(edit)Dig the high waists and foo hair!

7 Likes

If you need more scans of old timey christmas catalogs in your life, check out Wishbookweb. As a kid who anticipated the yearly arrival of the wishbook only slightly less fervently than christmas itself, these are gloriously nostalgic.

5 Likes

Back in my day, we were lucky if the electronic toys sported a light bulb. Many were steam-powered.

3 Likes

Three years later a tape-playing travesty would make life unbearable for any kid named Casey.

2 Likes

Merlin was my favorite electronic toy (until ColecoVision came along), and 30+ years later, it still works perfectly.

6 Likes

I am still the proud owner of an omnibot Jr, though sadly I left the remote on top of the gas fire about ten years ago and melted it. Still not found a replacement (though as it’s ultrasound, it’d probably be fairly easy to figure the relevant frequencies and build one).

I still want an Omnibot 2000 though. Fuck you, Santa, you jerk.

5 Likes

I think I had a bunch of these. Dark Tower was, by far, my favorite on this page.

2 Likes

In retrospect it’s surprising how much enjoyment I got out of playing with the Merlin back then.

(Oh, get your mind out of the gutter!)

2 Likes

Merlin, FTW! I loved that dang thing. It was just the right size for pretend phone-talking, too. Stop judging me.

7 Likes

i wanted Dark Tower and the tabletop D&D games so badly that i can still feel the want.

5 Likes

We owned a Speak and Spell tablet and the Little Wizard calculator. I would not have guessed, that these were $30 * 2.5 and $64 * 2.5. Pricey toys! Helps put some of the edu-app crazy parenting of today in perspective: we’ve always done this, for those with the means.

1 Like

I think that they had bb guns and air rifles…While they sold firearms in some of the stores, firearms couldn’t be mail-ordered.

I still want Dark Tower.

3 Likes

So so much play time put into my Merlin. I wonder if it is still hidden somewhere in the depths of the old house as my brother now lives in it and I don’t remember selling it.

2 Likes

One of the neighborhood kids had Dark Tower. It was a fun game and as others have said I still want one.

me too, me too. : (

1 Like

Of course they didn’t mail-order bb guns because…

2 Likes

According to this catalog it was only for the catalog pickup counter, like other large items picked up to avoid shipping charge.

4 Likes

Another cheer for Merlin! That simple little item lasted me many years and many many hours of play time- far out performing any of my other electronic toys.

That electronic battleship was a total PITA to program, but the sound effects and cool sliding buttons kind of made up for it ok. I think we eventually had to start calling out our shots when we would fire a round because the programming accuracy was so hit and miss (ha!)… pretty disappointing when someone would win on the board, but the software wouldn’t know it.

1 Like