Sears Xmas Wishbook '77: synthetic fabrics, expensive video games, digital watches

[Read the post]

1 Like

Multiply those prices by four to get 2015 money. More than $700 for a game console? Who’d be willing to pay that now?

At least the Fawcett beanbag was vinyl for, uh, easy cleaning.

I had the Mattel Electronics’ Football game ($26.84; $105 today), but not until sometime in the 1990s.
I used to spend weeks looking though the Wishbooks, compiling lists and imagining the massive battles (?) I’d have. As a true dork, I made up spreadsheets with the quantities and costs, divided out by my weekly earnings to determine when I could expect to buy them…and then I’d lose interest. I never bought–and rarely got–any of it, and I was always ok with that. Just looking and dreaming was really enough fun.

5 Likes

Obligatory Douglas Adams:

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.