Here's a comprehensive list of "Pizza Hut Classic" restaurants for all of your nostalgic dining needs

Originally published at: Here's a comprehensive list of "Pizza Hut Classic" restaurants for all of your nostalgic dining needs - Boing Boing

1 Like

I have one of these within walking distance, but they closed it two years ago and it’s sat empty. Dutch bros tried to put a coffee shop in it but the community shut that shit down. I want to buy it and restore it now.

3 Likes

Pizza Hut pizza will never taste as good to me now as it did back then. I might still go if there is Bubble Bobble in the waiting area, though.

8 Likes

Old School Pizza Hut — great restaurant in my small WYO town in the ‘80’s — and where I worked in high school. Loved the jukebox, we would open it and play songs before and after hours. There is a set of late 1980’s pop and rock songs that always transform me back to the Hut!

4 Likes

I was sad to discover that there aren’t any retros in my state.

3 Likes

I worked at one in college. It’s gone now, turned into a vacant lot.

2 Likes

… maybe starve yourself for 24 hours first :thinking:

1 Like

The one fleeting memory I occasionally return to from my youth and tied to the Hut was taco pizza. Had ground beef, lettuce, black olives, tomato, and other assorted toppings I can not specify. So good.
I now fruitlessly hunt for that flavor hit as an adult and often wind up with my childhood brain disappointed…

Don’t know if it was just a local thing or a test recipe or what, but that was fantastic, according to the few foggy synapses I have remaining from the early 80’s.

3 Likes

Hate to “well actually” but I never liked the food, nostalgia tinged or not. I just grew up somewhere with more slice joint culture than this I guess.

This whole post reads like payola native content tbh.

We had Taco Pizza at our restaurant — very popular.

I have had some success making it at home … sauce made from refried beans and taco meat - cover with your favorite cheese… bake.

4 Likes

The refried beans! that is the missing ingredient for that flavor!

I was thinking it was maybe some sort of sour cream or something might have been drizzled on afterwards…

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing too but we just had a new takeout Pizza Hut here in Grand Blanc Michigan. I spoke to the regional manager about Pizza Hut, while I was waiting for my pizza. He said that they were trying new things and I said why, why fix something that’s not broken. That they need to go back to the way they made their pizza back in the day. I had that pizza and it tasted as good as it did back in the day. I also told him that their service has gone way downhill.
The pizza tasted better than it had for many many years.
So I don’t think it has anything to do with tables and the classic restaurant, it’s the pizza that made Pizza Hut.

1 Like

For me and my high school friends we weren’t there for the pizza, we were there for the pitchers of beer, with pizza. But I grew up in NY where we had non-chain pizza everywhere.

4 Likes

I’m a little surprised that there isn’t one of these in Wichita, the birthplace of Pizza Hut. In the 70s through the 90s, there was practically a Pizza Hut on every corner. Like, there was an intersection a few miles from my house that literally had four Pizza Huts. The corporate headquarters was here, and every experiment it came up with got tested here first. When corporate headquarters left, so did the extra Pizza Huts. But there are still “classic” buildings everywhere, used the way crabs inhabit empty seashells, by everything from Mediterranean restaurants to tax accountants.

7 Likes

About the only reason I miss the classic joints is that they had the all you can eat lunch buffet. That was prime for lunch. Also, about the only time I could get Mexican pizza as well.

1 Like

Most often used - in my experience, anyhow - as Mexican joints.

When I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, Pizza Hut was one of my favorites, but I was also in a the middle of North Carolina and did not have access to good pizza. That changed for a while, as a we had an independent pizza place open up and I found that to be so much better. (Okay, so it helped that they were also sponsoring our race car … but they really were good!) I had a brief resurgence with Pizza Hut when a friend I had a serious crush on worked at one for a while.

Then in '92, I moved to Chicago. Once I had actual pizza, Pizza Hut was just never the same for me.

2 Likes

They should bring back the sauce from then…todays pizza hut pizza is no better than chef boy r dees homemade kit…which is basically cheap spaghetti sauce…the dessert pizza is missed as well

There’s one that used to be near me in MA that closed and eventually got turned into an urgent care. Still looks like a Pizza Hut on the outside, which I both like and feel vaguely weird about.

4 Likes

Buffet… That is all.