Watch the very first Pizza Hut commercial from 1965

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/watch-the-very-first-pizza-hut.html

6 Likes

That Escalated Quickly - Anchorman, The Legend of Ron Burgundy

7 Likes

“Our market research indicates that the Shriners are the biggest pizza consumers in the region. Let’s make sure to draw them in…”

14 Likes

Having grown up in Wichita, I miss that original Pizza Hut pizza, before they began doing so many awful things to their pizza in the 80s/90s.

11 Likes

They used to bag the pizza?

5 Likes

The best part was when the guy putt-putted to the Pizza Hut.

8 Likes

They sure did. In the 70s, Wichita even had a couple of rolling pizza vans with red roofs that would deliver pizzas through certain neighborhoods (Westlink, for example) if you ordered early enough. They would putt-putt to you.

4 Likes

All those classic cars, wow!

4 Likes

All commercials of this era become a game of “Spot the VWs”.

5 Likes

The OG Pizza Hut did NOT have a red roof.

5 Likes

There was a time when there were a bunch of pizza joints that were largish with long bench tables to eat at.

2 Likes

Pinthouse pizza in ATX is one of the chains reviving that tradtion - or at least they were prior to COVID-19. I’m not sure how excited folks are going to be to sit at communal tables for anything anymore.

That was a surprise - especially because they bothered to put a cardboard or paper “ring” in the bag for stability anyway. That must have been hot to handle!

2 Likes

Wasn’t this the plot of an episode of The Monkees?

2 Likes

The low point for the franchise came in 1995 when they hired a spokesman who insisted on using their TV commercials as an opportunity to humiliate his wife during their then-ongoing divorce.

7 Likes

Sad to see this on the day we lost Ennio Morricone. I think he could have done wonders for this short film.

2 Likes

For f*ck’s sake, is there anything obnoxious in American history the orange one hasn’t been a part of?
Even in this, he was an obnoxious dick.

And why am I not suprised the worst chain pizza in the world was something he liked?

3 Likes

Music heavily inspired by this old Cuban chestnut, reworked several ways over the years by Stan Kenton:

2 Likes

Pizza in the 50’s and 60’s was still considered exotic food by middle America. IE: Not major cities with Italian communities. It was kinda a big thing to go to a proper Italian Restaurant for the WWII ‘mid century modern’ generation. The Rat Pack had a lot to do with signing the praise of Italian food.

Tho, I associate pizza hut with more 70’s ‘fast food’ than proper Italian.

During the 70s and before, it was a great pizza chain. Then came Godfather’s, etc.

The only thing better than Pizza Hut in Wichita at the time was a dine-in Italian-American restaurant called Angelo’s.
There was a Shakey’s Pizza, but it was kind of like a Showbiz Pizza without the animatronics, and didn’t last long.

I was born in the early 80s, Im one of the oldest millennial class.

As long as I have been alive- Pizza Hut has been a greasy oily mess that is overcooked on the outside and undercooked inside.

Occasionally it has been palatable.

1 Like