Here's a jet with an outdoor deck for the ultra rich who've made a killing from Covid-19

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/07/heres-a-jet-with-an-outdoor.html

4 Likes

I’m guessing that big hole makes the fuselage a lot weaker, and therefore the plane a lot more dangerous.

At this point, I’m vacillating between “every billionaire should be forced to fly in one” and “too dangerous to ever be made”…

11 Likes

I don’t think you can land a jet on the African savanna, and I don’t know why anyone would want a deck overlooking an airport runway.

33 Likes

That, plus the fact that they are designing a door opening outward, countering a safety system that works on pressure differential, I’d say this is a very subversive 21st century guillotine. Well done!

18 Likes

Where can you land a plane that big that is

1. A pleasant place to hang out outdoors
  2. Not a private strip at your mansion
1 Like

Fixed it.

10 Likes

COOOL!!!
Oh, it’s only when you are on the ground? Boring. In the time it takes to open the thing, I could be off the plane and doing whatever I flew in to do.

2 Likes

Or using a design that has been standard for cargo planes for decades.

16 Likes

Due to large surface area, forces acting on the door when plane is pressurized would be ridiculous too.

2 Likes

My dearest noah, you’re simply not thinking like a billionaire. You’d want a deck overlooking an airport runway because you can have one!

4 Likes

No swimming pool? Sheesh.

5 Likes

Ah say, ah say, ah say

2 Likes

W C Fields did it first, and better.

In “Never Give a Sucker an Even Break”, in the movie-within-the-movie, the plane is specified as having an open-air rear observation deck.

You can see it in the first few seconds here:

5 Likes

I really want this to exist, because I can’t wait for the first reports of overindulged nitwits opening it during flight.

4 Likes

I can definitely say, when i was a ten year old boy, there weren’t many views better. I can distinctly remember at that age sitting eating a sausage (bought from the cafe with my own money!) on an outdoor terrace overlooking the runway at Innsbruck airport, whilst my plebian parents slummed it in the lounge. Paradise!

3 Likes

I don’t get it. I love flying airplanes, but hard surface airports are generally hot, smelly places and – for lots of reasons – tend to be in the boring parts of town and are necessarily surrounded by commercial/industrial stuff. Even the few dirt remote strips that might be nicer are, themselves, in the more boring, remote spots of wherever they are.

Maybe they could mount it on floats?

Of course, with that kind of money I’d want something cooler anyway, like this.

8 Likes

Even those airports in really nice, fancy places frequented by people with this kind of scratch – Aspen, Bonaire, Jackson Hole – the airports aren’t in the nice part of town.

Okay – looking it up – Jackson Hole airport does have a lovely, unobstructed view of the mountains, but if you’ve got this kind of money you’ve got enough money for a nicer place in Jackson Hole – or certainly you have friends that do.

2 Likes
6 Likes

The whole thing is either fatally dumb in every respect or is deliberately absurd. Nothing about it makes sense.

Yep. Planes are confined to runways; you can’t offroad your plane up in the mountains on the weekend. No one who owns a private plane wants to spend time sitting around on a landing strip; not having to do that is part of the whole point of having a private jet .

2 Likes