Here's a jet with an outdoor deck for the ultra rich who've made a killing from Covid-19

Beat me to it.

One of my jobs in the USAF was loading (life support) gear onto these. We had a high lift truck that we’d back up to the plane. You had to really trust your spotter.

8 Likes

Maybe Richie Rich will buy one then.

Well, now, if you also own the airport, it can be as pretty as you make it be.

3 Likes

Or cold and smelly.

Sometimes smelly in a nice way it has to be said.

But always noisy and windy.

3 Likes

I like the smell of Jet-A, yes. But I’m guessing we’re odd ones.

2 Likes

Of course billionaires made money off of covid-10; those Mar-a-lago meetups got them ahead of the curve.

1 Like

I love the smell of jet exhaust too - It triggers memories of traveling as a child.

And I love the smell of Avgas just 'cos it’s a beautiful smell.

2 Likes

I thought the same thing. No matter how much this is a luxury home with wings, a Super 8 off the airport (or even the FBO’s lounge) is going to be much nicer place to hang out.

That’s what I was going to say. Private airfield is the next step up from private jet. Actually private airstrips are not all THAT difficult, but this thing is going to require a long paved runway, not just carefully graded grass like most private strips.

1 Like

(& @FGD135) Honest question: are those aircraft pressurized to the same degree as passenger aircraft? I could see a difference in design for cargo planes if there was no intention to keep them at 0.98 ATM during operation.

And of course let’s not forget NASA’s flying observatory SOFIA

5 Likes

But why not just go with one of these?

image image

7 Likes

If the above mockup is any indication you can just land in the middle of the Serengeti any time you have an urge to sip a find chardonnay as you watch the wildebeest grazing peacefully nearby.

So I guess it comes with off-road tires?

2 Likes

John Travolta’s house, in an airport community:

The deck still doesn’t make sense. Just de-plane and go sit in the garden. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SHOUT A BIT OVER THE NOISE OF THE OLD 707.

6 Likes

The one in the picture I attached is. The USAF regularly carries active-duty and retiree passengers under the Space-Available program. Basically, as long as there’s room on the aircraft, and you have sufficient leave (vacation) time, you can get free travel anywhere the missions happen to be going. I’ve traveled on one of the same model as that picture (KC-135). Got to watch an in-flight refueling, so that was pretty cool.

Fun story, the first time out we had to turn around because a valve in the pressurization system failed, so I got to eat my own dog food and use the portable pax O2 that our shop maintained/inspected. When we went the next day everything worked great.

4 Likes

I figure anyone who’d had a reversal of fortune could always park their jet down by the river.

c14937cae4f08ab03046145827b1ec20--motivational-speakers-tv-movie

4 Likes

That 707 is really pretty, though, decked out in the vintage QANTAS livery

1 Like

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p084pp2h/the-airport-for-celebrities-you-never-knew-existed

“In the early years of aviation, the Gander Airport in Newfoundland, Canada served as an obligatory stop for refueling between Europe and America. This made the small town of Gander into an unlikely international hub, hosting celebrities like Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, and the Queen of England.”

Of course, you’d have to exit the tarmac and enter the terminal to get that sort of glamour.

3 Likes

if airplane seats were sized for adults rather than for ten-year-olds, we might all like air travel better

1 Like

Sadly is near rival Dildo, NL didn’t have its runway done in time and never got its moment in the sun.

2 Likes