Here's a montage of Karens but their rants are replaced with zombie growls and screams

Obviously a fair and true point that I certainly agree with.

Speaking to both your and @MaiqTheLiar and @gracchus’s points, I feel like things were less toxic in the 90’s, but I was a bit younger then (late teens early 20s). Even into the early '00s it felt like you could have reasonable discussions with folks from The Other Side™, disagree about them, but that it was more often a point of subjective points rather than objective facts.

These days, it feels like the “alternative facts” label / claim has resulted in open season for outright falsehoods that are easily disproven but it no longer matters. The insane amount of complete rubbish spewing from Trump and the dropping of all pretense that it’s “country over party” is really rather terrifying to me, and it SHOULD be to everyone else, too. At least they used to pretend that they believed the things they were saying and not just regurgitating what fearless leader says, no matter how insane… Has it seriously always been that way?

Perhaps you missed out on someone named Newt Gingrich, who basically got the ball rolling on the bad-faith debate-club nerd discourse that brought us to our current situation. And as noted above, yes, it’s always been that way. Prosperous times like the 1990s can paper things over for the privileged, but the idea of comity in American politics always ends up being a myth and/or collusion.

10 Likes

We had whitewashed discourse. Civility (literally the good conduct of the civitas, or city-state) is only as good as it is for the most vulnerable members of society. True civility is to treat the most vulnerable with human dignity, not pretend to nor to coddle the privileged.

9 Likes

Fair enough. What a depressing freaking place this is. :frowning:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Which place?

Earth?

Unfortunate, but it IS what we humans make of it.

America?

Sadly, this is what chickens coming home to roost actually looks like; we are the architects of our own demise.

This BBS?

You’re just in the wrong thread, that’s all:

8 Likes

Can’t tell if you’re making fun or simply offering a link to happy / silly things to distract me… :wink:

1 Like

I am clearly in the wrong threads today. Thanks for pointing those out, @Melizmatic and @GulliverFoyle.

3 Likes

Dude, that’s a legit recco.

I personally swear by ‘Unicorn Chasers’, because without them (and copious amounts of cannabis) I’d have been flipped out already…

9 Likes

I was trying to cheer you up. Not all the world nor all the BBS is doom and gloom.

If I ridicule someone, I try not to be ambiguous about it. You seem sincere in your wish for a better world, and I wouldn’t ridicule that.

Honestly, me too I think. Too much doom-scrolling takes a psychic toll. Self-care is health-care.

7 Likes

When?

Back then?

Back then?

[I’m not going to put a picture of a lynching or anything here but consider that point made]

Back then?

Back then?

[I’m also not going to post a depiction of the native American genocide]

Edit: I see that point has been made above already

8 Likes

I wasn’t too young to be politically engaged in the 90s but young enough that American issues weren’t really on my radar, so this is a genuine question, not a bad faith attack: were the public reactions to the demonstrations in response to the Rodney King incident any more civil then they are now?

3 Likes

An excellent question that I can’t speak to in any meaningful way at all, unfortunately. I was 14 when Rodney King happened, and I remember thinking “wow, wtf, that’s crazy” about what happened to him and the resulting riots, but I was too young and/or too wrapped up in general teenage foolishness to recall what it felt like at the time with regards to public response.

Does anyone that was more plugged in at that time remember and care to share?

1 Like

I was 17 years old at the end of my junior year in high school in the Midwest when the riots happened in LA.

I remember that as the start of my political activism; I went on marches and did what little I could as a minor with no voting power yet.

7 Likes

It depends on who you ask.

1 Like

You are right. It’s still a pretty funny videos. And those Karens really made fools of themselves, just behold the windowlicker.

3 Likes

So much this. Calhoun could disagree civilly with Webster. With Turner, no.

1 Like

If you really want to see zombie-Karen…

I’ll prefer Amy Pond-Karen anyway…

1 Like

I don’t get it. I thought the video was going to change the audio for a laugh/point?

Isn’t this what they always sound like?

2 Likes

Did this for masks. Not sure anyone will wear them (I printed two).

1 Like