Here's Doctor Who's intro as a 70s buddy cop show

Though they did create the character of Harry Sullivan a few years later specifically because they didn’t think Tom Baker would do his own stunts.

When Baker showed himself more than willing, they wrote Harry out - which I always thought was a shame as he and Sarah Jane played off one another terrificly.

3 Likes

I thought I read that the original plan was to have the Fourth Doctor played by a much older actor, and the character of Harry was added to provide an action figure before Tom Baker was cast. But I could be misremembering.

2 Likes

I guess it depends how closely you are willing to read into stuff w.r.t. Jamie.

The subtext with Liz was certainly more plausible but I’m not sure if that’s just because the Third Doctor seasons were more of a straightforward procedural show, and in that kind of show it’s just part of the language that if a male and female lead aren’t married, there is an implicit will-they-won’t-they. Like in the Avengers, where there was a constant background implication that Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg might shag at any moment, despite that he could have been her flamboyantly gay uncle.

3 Likes

The actor is 82, and may be in a wheelchair or something—pitch it, how does it work, who is Susan now and why does she reappear?

1 Like

She’s actually Davros?

6 Likes

That would blow so many minds…

Star Trek Reaction GIF

5 Likes

Harry Sullivan actor Ian Marter went on to be a prolific writer of Doctor Who novelizations before his untimely demise at age 42 from diabetes related heart issues.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I should admit this or not, but that song and the extended version of it, are both on my running list.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Generational differences I imagine.

3 Likes

Not at all - I am very familiar with the source.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.