Here's Doctor Who's intro as a 70s buddy cop show

Originally published at: Here's Doctor Who's intro as a 70s buddy cop show | Boing Boing

3 Likes

IMO Pertwee and Capaldi share similar orbits

10 Likes

Only disappointment was the lack of “Featuring” for Carolyn John as Liz Shaw. She was in half the scenes and was a bit unappreciated at the time.

6 Likes

Sadly, the TARDIS has no hood to slide across.

Car Sliding GIF by Beastie Boys

11 Likes

tumblr_n5a8theSa81qcwhkeo4_250
Doctor Who Gifs

17 Likes

Pertwee’s first two seasons were alien to fans at the time.

1. first seasons in color
  2. it was a complete course shift to something more like Quatermass and ilk
  3. The Doctor didn’t need a young male companion like Ian,Steven or Jamie to do the action scenes anymore.
  4. Excluding UNIT regulars, it was the first time The Doctor only had a single companion. Something carried over to Tom Baker for most of his run.
8 Likes

I believe Pertwee’s Third Doctor was actually the first time romance with a companion was introduced to the show. At the end of The Green Death, the Doctor’s companion Jo Grant decides to settle down with some hippy that was involved in that storyline. The Third Doctor congratulates them and gives them a wedding present, but doesn’t stick around for the wedding party and the episode ends with him driving off, clearly lonely and heartbroken. You could argue that he was just sad to lose his traveling partner, but to me it always felt like he had unspoken romantic feelings that it was now too late to ever express. If so, it was pretty subtle compared to the instant romance of the new series.

6 Likes

My hovercraft…is full of eel’s.

7 Likes

What about a comedy cop show like Car 54, Where in Time And Relative Dimension In Space are You?

13 Likes

it’s not like that’s unique to DW

Every cop show on TV now has any pair of detectives that’s alone with each other for two minutes drawing up a wedding-gift registry

5 Likes

That’s not only a nicely made title sequence, it’s actually a pretty darn accurate representation of the Pertwee years as well.

5 Likes

Would Ford Timelord work?

14 Likes

You beat me to it :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I’d say that Capaldi shared much more with William Hartnell. I remember watching the very first episode of Dr Who, and Bill Hartnell always struck me as both really grumpy, which he apparently was, but also, as a character, someone who you might want to check what he’s holding in his hand if he’s standing behind you!

Also, it’s way past time (ha!) that Susan ought to have been brought back as a major character. She is, after all a Time Lord in her own right, as The Doctor’s granddaughter.

6 Likes

That buddy cop spoof was pretty darn good.

… memo to Russell T Davies…

Full of eel’s WHAT?

(Hint, plurals do not take a possessive apostrophe merely to indicate they are plurals!)

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 17.25.12

3 Likes

NERD ALERT

Actually it was done twice before under Hartnell.

Susan’s departure, the first companion to leave the show (Dalek Invasion of Earth).

Then her replacement, Vicki (The Myth Makers, lost story)

3 Likes

Are you talking about the existence of romance in Doctor Who at all? Because I was specifically referring to romance between the companions and the Doctor. Companions fell in love with people all the time in old Doctor Who, even when it made absolutely no sense (I’m looking at you, Peri’s last episode), but almost never with the Doctor, as seems to constantly be happening in new Who. That’s what made the Third Doctor’s low-key romance such a surprise.

4 Likes

I was talking about companions leaving because they struck up a romance with a character in a story. So I totally whiffed the response to you there. My bad.

The Jo Grant/Doctor romance is entirely optional subtext. I always saw it as “The people in my life keep staying, but I can’t”.

Besides, every handsome alien showed affections to Jo, including the Master. It was her superpower.

2 Likes

She was also in the story this video purports to be the intro for (Spearhead from Space), while Katy Manning was not.

That scene really allowed Jon Pertwee to demonstrate his acting chops. It came as a shock to me to see it in later life, as I only really remember him gurning his way through Wurzel Gummidge (which, on reflection, was dark as fuck for a children’s show).

Like the Second Doctor calmly booby-trapping the doors of the Tombs of the Cybermen, at the end of that story, to deliver a fatal electric shock to any unsuspecting souls trying to open them in the future.

2 Likes

Also some of the not-so-handsome ones (possibly NSFW):

2 Likes