Here's every US state's favorite (and least favorite) illicit drug

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/26/heres-every-us-states-favorite-and-least-favorite-illicit-drug.html

6 Likes

Contributed by Allan Rose Hill.

11 Likes
11 Likes

Wow! thx! have not kept up with Cody (and Warmbo, that freak, that happy mutant) in quite some time.

I came in here to ask where is FENTANYL in this list? not one state going F?

5 Likes

… I’d have thought the Gulf Coast would be more focused on cocaine just because it’s the closest part of the country to South America

2 Likes

Where is cannabis on this list? Is that no longer illicit? (I’m not complaining…just noticing.)

covered in the OP.

2 Likes

i was just assuming the map would be all one color if they included it, and that’s not very interesting.

4 Likes

Would that be lumped under “Prescription Pain Relievers”?

Also: I’m surprised at the popularity of hallucinogens. I know they’re fun, but I had no idea they were so popular. Though now that I think about it, they were often the number two drug choice after marijuana. Now that marijuana is off the list (no longer illicit), I guess it makes sense that this leaves hallucinogens at number one in a few places.

1 Like

I see this on the BB page w/the article

I see this when I click the link

2 Likes

I can clear the filter on the main page and scroll through the maps, but if I go to the link I get a mature content warning with the opportunity to log-in.

As for fentanyl’s absence, they state, “I don’t think fent is really showing up in their data. NSDUH has a separate table for data on opioid misuse (which I didn’t map) that lumps together both heroin use and opioid prescription pain reliever misuse, and it includes a note stating ‘estimates of opioid misuse do not include illegally made fentanyl.’”

3 Likes

tiny dino thanks

1 Like