Here's how to help women in Alabama get an abortion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/15/heres-how-to-help-women-get.html

Here’s how to help women who need and/or want an abortion in Alabama.

12 Likes

If felons can’t vote & an abortion is a felony… Do you see what’s happening here America? Women will be systematically removed from voting to further the TGOP’s agenda.

I’m without words to properly narrate the seething rage I feel towards any person that would willing take the right of choice from any human being, and to take from the those most vulnerable is the lowest of all.

32 Likes

I wonder if Trump would lose even one supporter if it was publicly revealed that he had paid for one or more of his mistresses to get an abortion.

28 Likes

Not one of those swine would balk, they’d applaud if anything. Do as I say, not as I do is the Trumpanzie way.

16 Likes

We are friends with a network in the UK that assists women in Ireland (North and South) to travel abroad to get abortions when needed. Ireland has repealed its 8th amendment, but the infrastructure is not in place yet, so this is still neccessary. Not only that, but Northern Ireland Humanists are pointing out that Northern Ireland’s laws are worse than Alabama’s. Anyone involved in “procuring” an abortion there is liable to life imprisonment. The woman who heads ASN is American, and she is concerned that she might have to go back to America and run the same kind of organisation there.

23 Likes

The right to have an abortion is called „right to life“ now? I am absolutely in favour of women having the right to make that decision, but that’s a bit rich.

1 Like

At present, the act explictly states that women will not be criminally liable under the Act. The doctors would be.

1 Like

The Alabama one does not criminalize the formerly pregnant person, but others do. For example, the Georgia legislation seems to.

11 Likes

That would be referring to the woman’s right to life.

15 Likes

He’s not a woman, so it’s cool. I’m not even kidding. The double standard is so painfully clear.

You’re assuming a doctor performs the procedure, rather than it being chemically-induced by the patient. Also, under such laws even miscarriages would more consistently get treated as potential crimes. (Because that’s selectively true even the absence of such laws across the country.) So yeah, uterus-owners would absolutely be found liable in plenty of cases. (Even if they hadn’t actually had an abortion.)

Yeah, and in fact most of the laws being proposed right now seem to criminalize the pregnant person.

8 Likes

Right to life is the anti-choice movement. They dress up their misogyny with the language of human rights. I find that a bit rich, given that their entire goal is second class citizenship for women.

11 Likes

First thing I thought of too. Industrial Prison Complex: “hmmm, how can we incarcerate MORE people?”

4 Likes

In the event of miscarriage (aka spontaneous abortion, an incredibly common condition as pregnancy is complicated and messy) the woman would be her own abortion doctor.

I don’t know the exact wording of this particular bill, but women have been sent to jail for having miscarriages in other countries.

5 Likes

Maybe if he shoots a fetus on 5th Avenue…

The NRA would support that!

1 Like

Has anybody researched Yellowhammer Fund or National Network of Abortion Funds? Neither of them is on Charity Watch and I think GuideStar charges for financials (NNAF is on GuideStar). I have no reason to doubt either organization, I just like to see metrics before I donate and I’m having trouble finding anything current and freely available.

1 Like

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/searchableinstruments/2019RS/bills/HB314.htm

(1) ABORTION. The use or prescription of any instrument, medicine, drug, or any other substance or device with the intent to terminate the pregnancy of a woman known to be pregnant with knowledge that the termination by those means will with reasonable likelihood cause the death of the unborn child. The term does not include these activities if done with the intent to save the life or preserve the health of an unborn child, remove a dead unborn child, to deliver the unborn child prematurely to avoid a serious health risk to the unborn child’s mother, or to preserve the health of her unborn child. The term does not include a procedure or act to terminate the pregnancy of a woman with an ectopic pregnancy, nor does it include the procedure or act to terminate the pregnancy of a woman when the unborn child has a lethal anomaly.

Despite my seething in other topics on this bill about how bad the drafting is, considerable thought has gone in to trying to make this bill proof against attacks on those sorts of grounds.

I wonder if Trump would lose even one supporter if it was publicly revealed that he had paid for one or more of his mistresses to get an abortion.

No.

No idea about financial specifics, but:

Yellowhammer and NNAF have been working with well-known DSA fundraisers for a while now. See thread:

(thread also includes much cute doggo goodness)

3 Likes

As well as a likely not that great life for the unwanted children they feel the need to force into the world. But hey, the for profit prison system isn’t going to replenish its population all by itself.