Here's our first look at the Red Sonja reboot

Originally published at: Here's our first look at the Red Sonja reboot | Boing Boing

2 Likes

tumblr_mf2detSAKR1qdezf9o1_500

10 Likes

…studios will start mining comics for other genres outside of superheroes.

They have been, for decades:

Tank Girl (1995)
Ghost World (2001)
30 Days of Night (2007)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)
I Kill Giants (2021)

Just not necessarily a lot of them. More since the turn of the century, I think, the number of super hero comic adaptions outnumber them, though.

11 Likes

Yep, Schwarzenegger as “Prince Kalidor”. No room left for a Conan crossover.

IMDB has this interesting tidbit:

Arnold Schwarzenegger signed up for a glorified cameo, as a favor to producer Dino De Laurentiis. Much to his surprise, he was on the set for four weeks, three weeks longer than expected. He discovered after watching a rough cut of the movie that his role had been expanded to co-star, thanks to crafty angles and multiple cameras. Soon after, Schwarzenegger decided to terminate his 10-year contract with De Laurentiis.

12 Likes

@Papasan - you could almost believe Brigitte Nielsen could match swords with a young Swartzenegger - she is an imposing presence and clearly prepared for the role physically.

I’m curious to see how Matilda Lutz does here.

1 Like

I feel like there have been more than people credit-- they just often don’t advertise their comic roots, so it’s harder to keep track. And a high percentage of anime films are adapted from manga, but I think people kind of take that as a given.

Some more for your list:

Barbarella (1968)
Fritz the Cat (1972)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
Heavy Metal (1981)
Weird Science (1985) (only sort-of, on that one)
Road to Perdition (2002)
American Splendor (2003)
Oldboy (2003)
A History of Violence (2005)
Sin City (2005)
V for Vendetta (2005)
Persepolis (2007)
Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)
Snowpiercer (2013)
Atomic Blonde (2017)

13 Likes

Doesn’t she have magical fighty powers granted by a goddess? Not sure the move execs will see the difference between that and a superhero.

Now Tank Girl, that was a movie!!!

1 Like

There’s actually a lot, they’re not always advertised as being derived from a comic, some are vaguely superhero adjacent, like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Atomic Blonde, or Men in Black, others like History of Violence, I wouldn’t have known it was originally a comic unless I’d read that it was. You’re right that they’re outnumbered by superhero genre comic based movies.

6 Likes

coca cola coke GIF by The Coca-Cola Company

2 Likes

Men in Black
American Splendor - partly
Aliens vs Predator was in the comics before it was a movie (and IMO, the first one at least had way better plot lines)
The Shadow - sorta - has a long comics history, even longer radio and pulp
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Sandman - TV show - still need to see it.
Conan - again, long history of comics which helped developed the look, but lots of books and pulp origins
The Phantom
The Rocketeer
Hellboy
Grendel - TV Show that has been made, but dropped before being released - hopefully we will see it
Akira

Pre MCU Marvel stuff
Blade
The Punisher
Nick Fury
The TV movies with Captain America

7 Likes

I take it you haven’t seen Revenge

I hope they take some plot and character elements from Gail Simone’s brilliant run on the Red Sonja comic.

Also too: Everyone should go track down John Rogers’ wonderful “Fells Five” stories in the Dungeons & Dragons comics from a few years back. Yes, even though they were based on Fourth Edition.

Cant be any worse than the 80’s film adaptation…

2 Likes

Adding to the lists, I think the 1940 film version of Lil’ Abner (black-and-white, non-musical) is one of the most faithful comics adaptations to film that I’ve ever seen. The screenplay was even written by the original cartoonist, Al Capp, which is certainly something you see very little of today. The movie is truly weird and delightful. Cousin Delightful, that is! (okay, minor cringe for Buster Keaton’s Native American character) All very much in the spirit of the comic strip.

2 Likes

I hope It is a musical…

3 Likes

My personal list of great non superhero comic/graphic novel adaptations not mentioned above:
Constantine
The Crow
Dredd
The Mask
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

5 Likes
  • Art School Confidential!

Modesty Blaise!

1 Like

Couple of not-necessarily-superhero comics cine-faves :

Renegade (2004) (aka Blueberry en francais) - adaptation of the renowned Mœbius comic. (Super good on its own - even if only vaguely resembling the comic.)

… the (arguably) O.G. Marvel movie

Howard the Duck (1986)

4 Likes

That I’ve watched:

• Multiple movies of Astérix et Obélix
  • Iznogoud (2005)
  • Les aventures extraordinaires d’Adèle Blanc-Sec (2010) (Which I really like and re-watch every so often.)
4 Likes