Here's the first single from the unreleased David Bowie album coming in January

Originally published at: Here's the first single from the unreleased David Bowie album coming in January | Boing Boing

4 Likes

After hearing a dozen or so albums after an artist dies, it’s the first one that has any merit and you really need to be a fan of them to like it. After that we get a series of live tracks, that slowly just become money grabs by the family or who ever inherits his legacy.

1 Like

5 Likes

16 Likes

Fwiw, his birthday is January 8th.

1 Like

7 Likes

A leaked version of “Toy” made its way online ten or fifteen years ago now, and it’s an excellent album.

4 Likes

any idea on whether he meant it to be released posthumously? or did he not want it released, which is why it wasn’t when he was alive?

3 Likes

He wanted it to be released. Label shenanigans caused it not to be released on schedule in 2001, after which he switched labels and moved on to Heathen and his later albums. As I recall, at the time the album was leaked, it was suggested that it was with his consent because ongoing label shenanigans meant it still wasn’t going to be released.

3 Likes

yay! a lot of times it seems artists have things they didn’t want out in the wild for one reason or another, and as soon as they’re gone – people are cashing in. not that bowie would really mind one way or the other at this point, but you know… it’s the thought that counts.

3 Likes

David Bowie was a shape shifter who ran the Guild of Calamitous Intent for a while.
It’s true, look it up.

3 Likes

On 1st lissen, there are only two good things about it: Bowie’s singing it, and that bitchen bass line. Hope the rest is better.

Do save your eggs, please: that typed/said, even mediocre Bowie’s waaaay better’n a lotta folks’ best work.

Liking that a lot, just added it to my Apple Music library, and I’m really looking forward to hearing what others of his early songs he’s revisiting.

That bass line makes the song for me. It really drives the song forward. Disclosure - I play bass, so I am somewhat biased. OK - heavily biased.

1 Like

…and my BF is a bassist :smiley: Further disclosure: I bought Stanley Clarke’s School Days shortly after it came out; I was in 8th grade :smiley:

Well, that made you one funky 8th grader (Hot Fun!). In high school I played bass clarinet, which is one of the reasons I love Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew. The bass clarinet is what eventually led me to the bass!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.