Here's the "This is Fine" meme as a Zoom background for you to download

Originally published at: Here's the "This is Fine" meme as a Zoom background for you to download | Boing Boing

6 Likes

hah he’s at a conservation org. Makes sense… I’ve got one of these on our plug-in hybrid and I’ve used it in presentations about fire for the large scale battery business… I immediately thought of it as a global warming meme, glad others do too…

4 Likes

Zoom meetings are still a thing?

3 Likes

Zoom meeting backgrounds are so 2021.

2 Likes

i still zoom with Dear Brother every friday, as we have done for over 3 years now.
i’m afraid he’d be startled and upset if i were to appear in front of that background. he would want to know what is wrong.

6 Likes

Wow, that Verge interview from 2016 is interesting. (The squiggly brackets are mine. The square brackets are the Verge’s.)

{The Verge} Chris Plante: What inspired “On Fire”?

{The creator} KC Green: This was in 2013. I think I was still struggling with myself — with getting my anti-depressants and stuff right. You know, every now and then you have these off days where shit is worse, but you’re trying to ignore it. It’s just a feeling you have. I wrote this comic and that was all there was to it.

{…}

{The Verge} Why has it become so popular?

{The creator} Because it’s a feeling we all have, apparently. It’s a feeling we all get of, just like, “Things are burning down around me, but you got to have smile sometimes.” It’s a basic human [feeling], “Well, what are you going to do?”

{The Verge} Why do you think meme is only the first two panels and not the full comic?

{The creator} Brevity. Just quick memes. That’s all people want. And that’s all that some of them have seen. {…}

{The Verge} Is it possible “This Is Fine” has endured, because it’s like our generation’s “Hang in there” poster?

{The creator} [Laughs] Yeah, it has a similar feeling, like just hang in there, we’re almost to Friday.

{The Verge} Maybe that’s why the two panels are popular. There’s still hope.

{The creator} That’s what I’ve wondered. He doesn’t melt — and it is kind of grotesque at the end. It’s easier to sell the first two than the entire panel where the dog melts into nothingness.

I never thought of the meme as being like the “Hang in there” poster. I always thought it was, like, “We are so f*cked and no one is paying attention”

10 Likes

I see your This Is Fine and I raise my Plush Dumpster Fire

8 Likes

Yes, very much so, at least at my workplace.

One good thing to come out of the pandemic is that the peeps I work with no longer “need” to travel to and gather physically in a room for various meetings.

9 Likes

It’s amusing so i might yoink it for my own use.

On another note, not sure i love seeing links going to x-twitter

6 Likes

I’ve been bouncing between “This is Fine” and the Overlook Hotel hallway from The Shining ever since Zoom became a thing.

3 Likes

I would love to use this as a Zoom background, but the upper management people who want to see my face on Zoom would not be properly appreciative. Not to mention, probably wouldn’t get it.

3 Likes

I work for a company with multiple offices so yes.

Going to use it when I present at incident review next!

2 Likes

When we first switched over to emergency virtual learning in 2020, I started using this image as the first thing my (teenage) students saw when signing into Google Meet:

I have a morbid sense of humor.

5 Likes
9 Likes

So, uh… what’s up with that first image link?

applewebdata://c7afeb4e-09a4-481d-b139-75828de9922e/background

Yeah, I just noticed it when I wanted to download. Anyone has Twitter and can grab the actual image for us?

Good news is… Twitter no longer forces you to log in (whee)

4 Likes

Why would anyone who’s not a far-right, Musk-licking nutter even want to log into X/Twatter?

I know some who still do (for work related reasons), though most have been posting less I think

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.