Here's what Chinese smog does to a high-speed train

Making Smog Great Again!

11 Likes

Yeah – that was one of the better days for sure. The best days I was there were after rain where I could see blue sky. The worst days were basically 1970s Los Angeles in appearance.

3 Likes

So… I’m headed to Beijing in two weeks, and I’ll be there for two weeks. Do I really need to bring a mask? Or is that only needed if you’ll be exposed for longer periods of time? If I do need a mask, where can I find what kind I should get? I’m assuming that the Chinese government is not a good source of information on the best remediation techniques…

4 Likes

I once spent a week or so in Beijing in August in the early 2000s. I never saw the sun, due to how heavy the smog was. I could be daylight, but with no identifiable light source.

2 Likes

The same train? The brown one doesn’t have the vents. They differ just under the windshield in the middle. Similar looking, but they look like different trains.

Cut to one of Trump’s cabinet-cronies reading your post with growing excitement. “Yeah! Yeah, call it patina! That’s the ticket!”

4 Likes

Great idea! Too bad that trick won’t work for the citizens’ lungs.

1 Like

I am assuming that they have attempted to clean them.

Got cleaned up after someone finger-scrawled “wash me” on it.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Uh… Ouch.

2 Likes

Freedom Stripes

1 Like

“We’ve removed the Great Barrier Reef from the endangered list, so it’s clearly out of danger!”

2 Likes

I’m always amazed at how dirty my ceiling fan blades get. Aren’t they moving fast through the air? You’d think they’d blow the dust away.

1 Like

Dude they sell them everywhere. Try any Carrefours outlet. You don’t have to wear a mask - but if you are an asthmatic or have a weak respiratory system it would be a good idea. If you’re not a smoker a couple of weeks there will probably be the equivalent of a carton or two. Try http://www.thebeijinger.com/ it has a daily pollution reading .142 today - merely unhealthy for sensitive groups - Its been around 300 lately.

4 Likes

Coming soon, The Jersey Barrier Reef

2 Likes

Its a Siemens/Bombardier Velaro. In Germany those bullet trains are used under the name ICE 3 for almost 20 years, also they are used in Russia, Spain and Turkey on high speed lines. Its as much bad 70s SF as a commercial airliner of a Citybus.

Whereas the dirty train looks like it’s come from a lived in universe.

2 Likes

No need; out of sight, out of mind.

2 Likes

And have the painters inhale deeply so their lungs match. Oh, wait they already do!

2 Likes