Here's what Chinese smog does to a high-speed train

“Smog-berg! Dead ahead!”

5 Likes

Sure it does, they’re just caked solid.

I'm kidding!
4 Likes

I would recommend a good quality mask in case things get really heavy, not at all unlikely in winter. Make sure it filters out the 2.5 particles.

Also, be sure to rely on what the US embassy tells you about the air quality:

3 Likes

Surprisingly, not a thing here. Since almost all surfaces are made filthy by the pollution, individual instances don’t seem to be shamed often.

2 Likes

He’s probably doing a monkey job, aka ‘rent-a-foreigner’.

1 Like

We did the same. One glorious day we got up and looked out and could see the mountains. Beijing is actually surrounded on 3 sides by mountains, but we saw them once in the whole year, despite having windows that looked out at them …

1 Like

How many trips caused this condition? 1? 5? 10?

Lack of information is not data.

2 Likes

I was in Thailand for some weeks in '07 for an ethnobotanical “field trip” from my university. While we were in Bangkok and hat to get out quite early one day, I remarked on the bus “oh, what a lovely morning fog” (it was pretty actually). Local woman next to me: “That’s not fog”. Me: internally screaming

2 Likes
3 Likes

OH man - they have just opened up a whole new tourist market with that. Look at that amazing weathered effect!

“Now on China Train System - STEAMPUNK! Travel the rails in style as we take you back to a time that never was. Where modern technology takes on an old timey patina, and high tech conveniences run on things made to look like quaint, antiquated contraptions.”

2 Likes

In December 2015, China restricted outdoor construction and auto usage in order to temporarily reduce smog. The images below were taken one or two days apart.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/35028483?client=safari

6 Likes

The dust is drawn to the low pressure side of the blade, then boundary layer effects kick in when it gets close to the blade.

3 Likes

4 Likes

meanwhile in Poland

afaik the Chinese government shuts down coal plants all over the place and recognizes fine dust as major problem. Poland? not so much.

the newest plan is using less impure coal for the plants…

about two third of the most polluted cities in the EU are Polish ones

4 Likes

The white train looks too much like a prop from bad 1970s SF.

Whereas the dirty train looks like it’s come from a lived in universe.

so you’re saying that the white train is the exit node to our simulation?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.