Here's what it's like to drive off a cliff

Well that deescalated quickly.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s why some people invest in ā€œair brakesā€.

5 Likes

They usually donā€™t blow up until 12 seconds after Ponch rappels down and pulls the driver out.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure his insurance company will give that youtube video a thumbs up.

9 Likes

Iā€™m giving you a ā€œlikeā€ based on what youā€™ve reported.

There is NFW that Iā€™ll watch this video since I drive this bit of road ~four times per year.

The views are amazing but you either have to be a passenger or you gotta pull over in a turn out to enjoy them.

2 Likes

Yeah while it was awesome to drive the twisty cliff parts of the 1 I also found it kinda unnerving case it goes straight down.

Huh - was this reposted? It came up again on the feed.

Also - I found his problem. ON the dash cam it says ā€œFOZā€. Needs to change that to ā€œFONZā€ and he would have been alright.

3 Likes

The suspension was enough to make a Jetta handle like a Porsche?

Look, I know Porsche merged with VW, but there are limits.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a Forester XT. Thatā€™s not an aftermarket hood scoop.

4 Likes

What I donā€™t understand is why he went off the cliff instead of going into the side of the mountain. Obviously he lost control, but why he even was headed in that direction escapes me. Thatā€™s driving 101- if you sense you are losing control, aim the car into the hill, not down the hill!

I suspect maybe the issue wasnā€™t so much that he was going too fast for the corner, it was that coming out of the tunnel his eyes didnā€™t adjust to the light in time to see exactly where the turn was, he just saw there was a turn to the left up ahead and panicked and turned too soon?

When I was younger we spent a lot of time driving on remote logging roads which are usually quite narrow and hanging off the sides of steep mountains. And sometimes required turning around where there wasnā€™t enough room because those roads often peter out into impassability. I had nightmares for years about what it would be like to go off a mountainside. Turns out it isnā€™t as bad as I thought it would be!

3 Likes

ā€œPlease read the video description below before commenting ā€¦thanks.ā€ He doesnā€™t understand YouTube, does he?

9 Likes

a) he was messing around with his cellphone

b) he is a terrible driver

7 Likes

If only Carl Reiner had yelled ā€œCUT!ā€ in time.

7 Likes

he was wearing Opti-grabs!

4 Likes

This is the ending of every nightmare I had as a child. And I grew up on the prairies.

3 Likes

If I sensed I was losing control, I would aim the car back on to the road, not a hill. THATā€™S driving 101.

6 Likes

Looks a lot like target fixation - where the person drives right into whatever they are trying to avoid by fixating on it. You go where you look, if you donā€™t want to hit something, you have to look away from it and in those precious seconds where your life is flashing before you, that can be surprisingly hard to do.

3 Likes

Heā€™s clearly a Named Characterā€¦ but either the protagonist hasnā€™t had a chance to learn his secret yet, or heā€™s just not quite two days from retirement.

Iā€™d expect him to have at least had more dialogue than ā€œoh, noā€, thoughā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve been the first responder to faaaaaaaaar too many ā€œcliff divesā€ than anyone would consider my fair share ā€“ and Iā€™m not an EMT, Iā€™m just frequently there for bad times. Sudden stops & big drops, thatā€™s what mother natureā€™s race tracks have as far as run off.

The last one was a 70ā€™ steep drop with a broken leg, dislocated hip & several broken ribs. I came up on this by seeing a motorcycle parked at a cliff. I knew there wasnā€™t anything but a big drop there. I looked down, didnā€™t see anything and called out. Still out of view I heard a guy call back that they needed emergency response. I set that in motion and then made my way down there. Guy had come to a stop propped up by his broken leg from another 50+ foot drop and his Ducati was about 20ā€™ above him in a tree.

Took myself and several EMTā€™s a good hour+ to get him out on a board with ropes and chainsaws (for shrubs/small trees that impeded our ascent).

What sticks with me is if he was riding alone, heā€™d have gone unnoticed until a forest creature got hungryā€¦

6 Likes

M < eh x oops = tada.

2 Likes