Here's your first look at the MCU's Namor

Originally published at: Here's your first look at the MCU's Namor | Boing Boing

2 Likes
4 Likes

They chose to keep the winged feet.

If they can (successfully) turn Baymax from a weird reptilian monster-looking thing into a lovable balloon man, I don’t see why they felt it was so critical to keep the winged feet, which IMHO simply doesn’t work on screen in a live-action(ish) film. My reservoirs of disbelief suspension are deep, but not infinite.

3 Likes

I’d have kept the arrogant condescension and lost the winged feet. They just completely sap any menace the character has. It’s already tough to be menacing in a Speedo but you add the anklewings and I can’t see not laughing.

6 Likes

@dnealy Please correct the spelling. In this mode, it makes him seem the opposite of Grand Marnier.

I’m pretty sure he is Namor - the Sub-Mariner.

7 Likes

I haven’t seen the movie, looks like they’re trying to make Submariner into a Hispanic/ Mexican icon comparable to Black Panther.

Namor was always an odd duck superhero, and they used to draw him as Asian.

It’s great to have cultural representation, hope they don’t mess it up.

3 Likes

He’s not being complimentary to all humans. He’s complimenting Wakanda. He’s pointing out that, unlike everywhere else on land he’s been, the air and water are clean. This is just one part of one scene. Also, I kind of like it when comic book characters in film aren’t as one-dimensional as they were in the silver age of comics.

2 Likes

Sub-Marnier is cheap orange schnapps.

6 Likes

Which is kind of weird since he was officially Atlantean and the location given for Atlantis would make them either of European or North American descent (of course the actual comics history is insanely convoluted as usual). Great opportunity to diversify the MCU and bring in a culture that has a rich mythology to draw from. He says that his name among his people is Kulkukhán, which is basically a variation of Quetzalcoatl. This article points out that he’s basically a melding of the original Atlantean Namor and Kukulkán, a Marvel character from the 60s. Seeing as how damn near every comics character ever has had their history shift wildly decade to decade and that Quetzalcoatl is not only badass AF, but that culture gets virtually no positive representation in media, I’m more than ok with this. It makes so much sense and the downside is that he isn’t another European? I’m sure he’ll have plenty of time to be arrogant and ill-tempered.

Edited for typo and added context.

3 Likes

No you’re thinking of Howard.

10 Likes

Waugh!

2 Likes

Done. Thanks.

1 Like

Namor, not being an abusive raging asshole, is a nice choice.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good catch. Thanks.

The article makes a rather puzzling interpretation of the embedded scene.
Namor is both refusing to answer a question and grandstanding.
Seems arrogant enough to me, in just the way one expects of a comic book villain or antihero.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting tidbit. It does make things a bit more interesting.

1 Like

What’s even stranger is that @dnealy is given or feels compelled to work the MCU beat, one which he clearly despises.

4 Likes

It’s all just a valentine to this planet’s greatest work of art, The Dark Knight! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I know what you mean. I’ve always accepted the notion of DUNE’s ornithopters as being sci-fi-possible in a sci-fi-universe with incredibly light and incredibly strong materials, but Namor’s itty-bitty ankle winggies are way beyond me. Maybe Namor is filled with Helium.

1 Like

The weirdest part is that they make them flap. Like, let us assume they’re some vestigial component of your ancestors or something. That they can provide adequate lift and stability is just… well, it’s all silly, but functional ankle wings?

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

3 Likes