Herschel Walker says his multiple personality condition is not a disorder because Jesus had it, too

“Do our Lord Jesus Christ have a mental illness because he said he’s the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? To me, those are 3 different personalities.”

Honestly, had a comedian written this line 15 years ago, I would have dismissed it as lazy and heavy-handed.

Now, though, it’s just another in a long series of jaw droppers from the Grand Old Parody.

2 Likes

The usual issues apply with psychological diagnoses. DSM-5 is not a great tool (understatement), but seems to be the only game in town.

This is a pretty good summary of the current state of knowledge.

7 Likes

I’m grateful for you saying exactly what I was thinking. So much stupid I locked up and couldn’t communicate for a second there.

2 Likes

I’ll spare the derail and skip my rant on the DSM. Save to say that dissociative patterns are real and more common than most people think, even if I believe that the folks who wrote the manual gave in to political pressure and made a relatively simple thing both more complex and more mystical-sounding than it would have to be.

And no matter how many personalities Walker has, the only ones we see would be unsettling to put in a position of authority.

2 Likes

It checks out.

Wouldn’t it be good to have someone in the senate who can stand in someone else’s shoes though? While standing in their own shoes I mean.

3 Likes

Assholes all the way down.

7 Likes

I…want to watch that version of the Jesus story. Can it be part of the MCU?

1 Like

Even as an atheist, I must admit that sometimes becoming Jesus is a better course of action than remaining the original person. Although I guess that would depend on actual change in the person and their behavior and not just assuming the title.

2 Likes

It might have been a few decades since I went to church, but I’m certain that the Holy Trinity doesn’t work like that.

If someone became Jesus, the Xtianists would reject them quickly and/or possibly try to exorcise them.

6 Likes

Yep - and how hurtful it must be to someone who believes in the concept of the Trinity and what it means in Christianity.

But as Christian friend once said ‘The Bible Belt is a thousand miles long and half an inch deep’.

1 Like

Yep. I mean there has never been a serious thinker to come out of the south in it’s long history… /s

6 Likes

Do our Lord Jesus Christ have a mental illness because he said he’s the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit

Plus, the whole concept of the Trilogy was collectively arrived at and agreed upon, many centuries (and massacres) after Jesus’ death.

2 Likes

3 Likes

… thirty to fifty running into my yard?

6 Likes

Jesae.

4 Likes

Jesodes.

10 Likes

“You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow”

Jason Isbell - 24 Frames

1 Like

It is possible.

ETA:

Maybe they could add some Christopher Eccleston’s Jesus to it

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.