Herschel Walker says his multiple personality condition is not a disorder because Jesus had it, too

Originally published at: Herschel Walker says his multiple personality condition is not a disorder because Jesus had it, too | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I mean… MPD has been floated as an explanation for saints who heard the voice of god or angels…

Anyway…

Warnock GIF by Election 2020

15 Likes

Well maybe two? At least ones he doesn’t seem to have talked much about to his “biographers…”

4 Likes

because Jesus also had multiple personalities. “Do our Lord Jesus Christ have a mental illness because he said he’s the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? To me, those are 3 different personalities.”

I’m an atheist and this display of ignorance makes my head explode. I can only imagine how someone truly knowledgeable about Christin theology (like Warnock) reacts to this burning stupid.

18 Likes

I think the Jesus thing might be a bit too far in Georgia. The only person who can get away with that is Donald Trump, and he doesn’t have to because Jesus is the one who wants to be Trump.

4 Likes

Shakes Head No GIF by Election 2020

Um. No. I don’t think that’s the case. Supply-side, vengeful Jesus, maybe, but not all Jesuses… Jesi?

12 Likes

“Jesus had multiple personality disorder. I know this, because he told me so. You see, Jesus is one of my other personalities.”

6 Likes

I think the Jesus thing might be a bit too far in Georgia.

I doubt it. Modern Republicans are Christian in name only (CINO?). Jesus was about love, charity, humility, honesty and free health care; all the things Republicans despise.

6 Likes

You don’t really need to imagine: history is not exactly bereft of people crossing the line from publicly claiming Jesus as an aspirational figure to publicly claiming to be Jesus or exhibit Jesus-adjacent characteristics; followed by a (usually stiff and brutal) response from local theological authorities.

I’m not expecting the Pope of Prosperity™ to stop fundraising for his next private jet long enough to burn Mr. Walker at stake; but bringing down the hammer on anyone who switches from “I want to be more like Jesus” to “I am more like Jesus” has been SOP for centuries.

1 Like

It’s not even that he claims to be Jesus or Jesus-like. He just mangles the entire concept of the Holy Trinity.

4 Likes

That’s not how Christian theology OR Dissociative Identity Disorder works.

18 Likes

5 Likes

[Puts on pedant cap]

Temporal lobe epilepsy is a much better explanation for this phenomenon, especially since in MPD, the main personality is often unaware of the doings of the alternates.

[Cap off]

16 Likes

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Always refer to the doc on doc things…

11 Likes

I kind of love the idea of Jesus blacking out like Oscar Isaac in Moon Knight and waking up to realize he just summoned a Biblical Plague.

17 Likes

That’s an interesting way to interpret the holy trinity. I guess? I dunno I always kinda seen it as seeing God as the movie director, Jesus being the movie star and the Holy Spirit as Jesus’ talent agent doing many of the stuff behind the scenes. Not so much different personalities since all three end up being pretty much on the same page but different roles and positions.

2 Likes

Eldridge Cleaver’s analogy to three-in-one oil was the most helpful explanation for me (that oil is involved made it even better).

3 Likes

How do you know if your multiple personality disorder is the Jesus kind, or the demon-named-Legion kind? I guess you need a passing miracle worker and a herd of pigs to settle the question.

“Don’t you know there ain’t no Devil, that’s just God when He’s drunk.”
“Heartattack & Vine”, Tom Waits

7 Likes

Or, alternately, waking up to find himself in the company of adulteresses and not sure why they were being so nice to him.

4 Likes

Let me double down on your pedantry by adding that a lot of mental health researchers consider DID to be either an outright fraud or (more charitably) a misunderstanding of simpler forms of dissociative processes that are distorted through the subjective experience of the sufferer and the projective processes of the treatment provider.

4 Likes