High frame-rate footage of vintage guns malfunctioning

Ever watch his channel? No? Then you have no right to an opinion.

Ian isn’t a “gun nut”. He’s an expert in a very niche field who gives technical presentations. Forgotten Weapons isn’t a political channel. It isn’t a “blowing up shit is fun” channel. It’s a specialized history channel looking at historical firearms with a very, very high level of engineering knowledge and historical context.

4 Likes

When you are hired by auction houses to verify historical artifacts we’ll start listening to what you have to say on the subject.

3 Likes

Putting everyone to sleep is a means of peaceful protest. It’s gonna take some doin’.

1 Like

No need to be rude. I have checked out his LinkedIn profile, his video channel, done online research (there is not much, short of terrible reddits and links to some other equally terrible discussions) and i can confirm that this guy’s life are guns. Now, what kind of mental gymnastics I am supposed to use in order to not label him as a gun nut, I am not sure. Because he speaks eloquently? In my previous life, the ammo that he shows leaving the guns in the video would in a lot of cases end in someone’s body - be that his or her stomach, head, would cut off his or her leg with the usual end result of body parts being splattered all over the place. The fact that you are defending him and are ready to be rude over my comment doesn’t bug me - it is your right to be insulted over that. What bugs me are the people like @beschizza who, on the same day, posts this article that glorifies weapons AND an article about the impeding doom of the big, bad NRA. And please don’t tell me how you can be a gun rights supporter and dislike the NRA. That is just intellectually dishonest.

My pleasure! Enjoy the site!

2 Likes

I’m not an expert or guns or even into them, but I thought it was fascinating in the one video with the failed, company-destroying futuristic “Zip gun 22”, apparently notorious for failing every second shot, that it works perfectly with expensive, high-quality ammunition.

2 Likes

(Waits for the inevitable “We’re loving him right now!”

1 Like

You might get a kick out of Ian and Carl’s other channel where they do informal mud tests on various guns to see if they fail and how. Last one i saw they were doing dust tests by driving their car out in the Arizona desert and letting the guns accumulate crazy amounts of fine particulate.

Here’s one of the first mud tests they did

2 Likes

&

3 Likes

Nah mate, that’s what the big maglite next to my bed is for!
(If you have an old Maglite, get an LED bulb for it, almost literal night-and-day transformation).

That said, I’ve lived in a somewhat dodgy area for about ten years now, with plenty of desperate junkies (more and more after all these years of tory ‘austerity’), and no-one has ever tried to rob the place, especially not when someone is already in the house.
How are they supposed to break in anyway, kick the door down? Smash the windows and then literally crawl through broken glass? Somehow without alerting everyone in the whole fucking street?

No thanks mate, I’ll just sit back and not worry about such things, and instead watch Ian explaining the ins and outs of a machine designed for killing things. It might not be morally sound, but they are interesting mechanisms.

2 Likes

Wait, you found someone who tested a Zip .22 and got it to run well? I’d like to see that.

It makes sense some guns will run better on higher quality/higher velocity .22s. Like I find CCI Minimags work well in just about everything. Aguila High Velocity in the red box (which I discovered during the .22lr shortage) also works really well. Higher end rounds can eek out some accuracy, but not generally reliability.

That’s awesome. I sincerely hope if I am ever in that situation they too get the fuck out when I yell at them.

1 Like

Roger that!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.