Subtle problem with bayonet design

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/27/subtle-problem-with-bayonet-de.html

3 Likes

I am a bit disappointing. Based on the headline I was expecting bloody shenanigans.

10 Likes

After seeing the holes, and how you needed to poke it with something, I’m thinking maybe this was an early version of “factory reset”.

12 Likes

From my time spent around soldiers back in the day, I’ll agree that some will eagerly stick things in holes they shouldn’t.

15 Likes

whoa Ian on BoingBoing? Thats awesome. Such an interesting channel. Guy is a legend in gun culture; enough that he gets a pass from them for being a liberal.

8 Likes

I’m a big fan of him and his channel. I did end up unsubscribing recently, to no fault of Ian really but with all the gun violence i became disinterested in the channel for over a year and decided if i wasn’t actively watching i should just bail. That said i do hugely appreciate the research and work he puts into rare and historical guns, i highly recommend the channel as Ian has a really great demeanor and explains things very clearly and his sense of humor always shines through.

11 Likes

I love that guys T-shirt!! Where can I get one of those?

2 Likes

mlp-fim-pinkie-pie-rimshot

Also, according to a copy of his unit history my grandfather had, he met at least a few “bored” nazis during his time in Europe…

But the story is very funny…

13 Likes

That’s a fun story. Ian has knowledge in both history and engineering and happens to like guns. His channel has all kinds of examples of odd contraptions from the early days of firearms, to modern marvels. It’s something even if you’re not into guns, but like history or engineering you can enjoy many of his videos (just skip the ones where he gets to shoot the samples.)

https://shop.bbtv.com/collections/forgotten-weapons/products/french-75-t-shirt

4 Likes

10 Likes

Why any design needs good user testing… Wait a minute.

3 Likes

How’s the old joke go? If you leave a soldier/marine/sailor etc. unsupervised with two rocks in an empty room and return one hour later, one rock will be broken and the other missing.

12 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I would actually like to see him do a presentation on the Linotype Machine. It is a mechanically and historically interesting piece of machinery in a way that is very similar to the guns that are his usual fare. I have the feeling that he could do it justice.

5 Likes

That bayonet is crazy long. Like the kind one expected from a Japanese rifle.

1 Like

I think he’s done videos that covered stuff that weren’t firearms or weapons, i wouldn’t mind him covering stuff that he found interesting (like the Linotype machine). I won’t think he would, at least not on his current channel but if he ever found himself wanting to branch out into other topics i would be there.

4 Likes

Oh, I meant the story in the video. You can take out the bayonets and then attach 2 rifles together, which you then could not get apart, because the mechanism for the release is now hidden… so they had to make an extra hole for that.

The story of my grandfather is that he killed fucking nazis with both his gun and with his bayonet.

11 Likes

My father was on an aircraft carrier in SE Asia in the early 60’s. Part of his job was checking in soldiers as they came back from shore leave. It was pretty common to find they had a duck or monkey hidden under their shirt.

6 Likes

I’m afraid the whole post just made me think of this

5 Likes

Well, I guess we all have our own associations

The post made me remeber a a fun song about bayonets (by a band that also did a song about group sex, so…)

2 Likes