High schoolers planning virtual proms

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/20/high-schoolers-planning-virtua.html

3 Likes

Students had already bought their outfits for May/June?

4 Likes

This is going to present some serious challenges for the chaperones.

4 Likes

The sex is going to be virtual too

4 Likes

Last time I was at the mall-- early march, they were changing out the “Year of the Rat” displays for the “Prom” displays, beginning with the fashion show. It’s possible that the show was preempted by events. Now, of course, I expect that these sorts of stores are closed.

4 Likes

“Virtual Prom” sounds like an FBI sting operation.

4 Likes

Although I didn’t care about going to my prom nor any of my graduations, I was thinking how sad the lack of proms and graduation ceremonies are for the kids for whom this matters - these are things they have one chance to experience and they’re losing it. But it occurs to me that these kids live so much online anyways, even their experiences in the real world mediated by social media, that it’s probably not that big a loss, ultimately… these experiences were always going to have an online component to them, and that might have been the more important part anyways.

1 Like

It is really heartbreaking that a whole graduating class won’t get to experience any of the normal coming-of-age traditions as they leave behind the friends to embark upon their adult lives. No proms, no senior parties, no team championships, no graduation commencement ceremonies, no last chances for irresponsible pranks or awkward teenage sexual encounters. These kids have been robbed.

3 Likes

My daughters prom was set for mid-April. I guess every school does it differently

That does seem early!

Will they not be allowed back on the group facetime if they duck out for a smoke and a nip off the flask behind the virtual gym?

If they’re doing it from home, “nipping out for a drink” might just be the family stock. Handy. Fewer prom-related traffic fatalities.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.