History buff confirms 1830 legend of Australian pirates in Japan

You call that a knife? This is a knife.

8 Likes

Samurais.

The one thing missing from Mad Max movies.

3 Likes

Careful what you wish for, you might get Pirates of the Caribbean VI: Pirates vs Ninja, in which Hollywood mixes up the eras of Jack Sparrow, Ching Shih (again), Bill Swallow, and Tokugawa, and gets the Sea of Japan confused with the South China Sea (which is somehow within a few days sailing of the Caribbean (again)).

4 Likes

(Vintage) Straya!

This series plays in Japan’s “closed off to the world” period it has loads of hip-hop references. In this specific episode it has Yanks playing baseball against ninjas:

As far as I can recall no Pirates though…

That’s not a katana…

That’s a katana…

“Confirms” may possibly be too strong a word here.

There is lots to this story that seems really really off to me. At best the claimed translation here is “colorful”. The art shown as supporting evidence looks quite wrong for the period (maybe right for 100 years later) and the book it is shown in looks modern. In fact bound books didnt exist in Japan at this time.

This claim seems extremely off to me:

Mima stayed up till dawn discussing what to do with his superior

The 1825 edict of expulsion was well known and considering that head of state Tokugawa Ienari had issued the order so recently, the chance of any official in Shikoku dallying were very low as it would essentially mean punishment for the whole clan involved.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.